Shitposting, Video Games, Manga, and Anime

Moderator: Wumpy

Juri
We're Knights of the Round Table
We attack each turn if able
Typewriter Monkey

Re: Destiny

Post by Juri » Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:51 pm

Dantes wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:55 pmSo I donated a 100K fractaline because I wanted the arbitrarily large number on my emblem. Now with the new emblem system that's not a value that you can display.
what did they change?

Dantes
Typewriter Monkey
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Dantes » Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:00 pm

Juri wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:51 pm
Dantes wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:55 pmSo I donated a 100K fractaline because I wanted the arbitrarily large number on my emblem. Now with the new emblem system that's not a value that you can display.
what did they change?
There are about 300 or so odd emblems in the game. They're various different designs that let you show off things you've done or achievements. Some of them also came with stat trackers that had specific numbers tied to them (kills, kills in a specific sub class, resets, basically anything you could think of in the game that had a statistic tied to it). They scrapped all that in favor of emblems (the same designs) that let you choose the statistics you want to display. But the catch is that the subset of statistics you can display now is barely 1/10th of what you could previously.
Pour like Hemingway's last call.

Dantes
Typewriter Monkey
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Dantes » Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:56 pm

Man the Destiny community is not happy right now. Someone doxxed one of the community managers yesterday.

Which aside from being insane is just insane.

KingRamz
We are not amused.
Cardboard Robot

Post by KingRamz » Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:41 pm

Are they unhappy because the CM was doxxed? Or was the CM doxxed because the community was unhappy?

Dantes
Typewriter Monkey
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Dantes » Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:08 pm

KingRamz wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:41 pm Are they unhappy because the CM was doxxed? Or was the CM doxxed because the community was unhappy?
The latter.

A lot of people are obviously shocked and dismayed by the doxxing, but I don't think it would have happened if the game were in a better state.

Juri
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Juri » Fri May 01, 2020 1:19 am

Dantes wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:56 pmWhich aside from being insane is just insane.
It's also insane, I'm told

Skeletor
How'd you know that loving kittens is my one defining trait?
Forum Elf

Post by Skeletor » Fri May 01, 2020 1:31 am

Entwine
wow, [you]. that all sounds terrible. i hope it gets better for you

Juri
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Juri » Fri May 01, 2020 3:16 am

Escalate

Dantes
Typewriter Monkey
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Dantes » Fri May 01, 2020 3:31 am

Echo

Still Alive
Cardboard Rima
Let's party like it's 1899

Post by Still Alive » Fri May 01, 2020 3:37 am

What's wrong with the game? What's the outrage?

Juri
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Juri » Fri May 01, 2020 4:07 am

Still Alive wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 3:37 am What's wrong with the game? What's the outrage?
I haven't played these games and am not Dantes, but here have this
Spoiler!
Destiny games

I spent a lot of time playing these games. Generally I liked how they felt, the artistic styling, the gunplay, the teamplay like raids, and once they hit PC it was even better. There's a lot to talk about wrt this series but I'll go over some basics that I like.

Gameplay
It generally feels like Halo taken to the next level. Enemies have the same styling, they have the similar AI, popping them in the head gives you a nice helm busting off or expelling of air. When you vaporize them they dissolve into the air, they explode, and all the races are "unique" in that they have their own methods in combat, lore, etc... I was never a diehard Halo fan, but you can definitely feel the design throughline. All the classes play for the most part the same, they just have different supers and jumps essentially. Hunters can double jump, Warlocks and glide, and Titans have a lift/glide mishmash. Other than some specific abilities they are more or less the same. Every weapon has it's own stats, looks, and sounds. You can alway tell what someone is using even if you hear it across the map. Exotic weapons have unique abilities or playstyles to change up your game. Fun stuff.

I think Bungie has made some great content for these games. A lot of pvp maps are great, almost all of the raids are extremely well done and interesting and require teamwork to get through, but after mastery the usual 6 people can be shaved down to less. The general pve combat consists of smallish open worlds with little events or quests you can. There's more structured things called "Strikes" which are like longer missions that have a big boss at the end with easy mechanics, if any. All in all, I like the content they make.... sort of...

Bungie
There's a big problem with the Destiny series.... it's made by Bungie. And Bungie just can't seem to get their shit together with this game. They continually reach a semblance of greatness or at least a high point then bring it crashing down to total garbage. Case in point; The end of Destiny 1 was beloved by most players. It essentially brought back ALL of the former content and made it relevant, recreated some of the gear to look totally different, generally it was a big celebration of the first game's history. Almost everything was brought forward, given a nice mirror polish, and presented to players in a way that made them want to jump back into raids theyve done 1000 times over. It made the game fresh again and really showed that Bungie had a good idea of what players wanted in the series. This period of D1 was called "Age of Triumph." After AoT hit, players thought damn, if this is what the end of D1 is like.... imagine what D2 will be!

Destiny 2: Vanilla
Pretty much everything Bungie learned with Destiny was thrown out the window for D2. The game was slower, players were less powerful, pvp was shaved down to 4v4 rather than 6v6, abilities and supers recharged slower. Loadouts were made out to be 2 primaries and a heavy, instead of 1 primary, 1 special, and 1 heavy weapon. It was a MASSIVE step backwards and left many people fucking confused. The game was essentially in a death spiral, it had some life left but this was the worst the series had ever been. It took an entire year for the game to be rebuilt into a place that still wasn't even as good as Destiny 1 AoT, but certainly an improvement. It was with the D2 expansion Forsaken that these big changes came. Suddenly the game series was back on track, players were happy, Forsaken was a hit, bright future ahead, etc...

Eververse and the Split with Activision
Now at some point in D1 a cash shop (called Eververse) was integrated in Destiny. It was pretty small at first, just offered emotes and maybe some glowing colors or something. Nothing too crazy. People were upset but it was a tiny part of the game. The initial conclusion by the public was that Activison really wanted a cash shop put in Destiny, they are the devil ruining the game, yadda yadda. Sure, big publisher so not uncommon. As we moved forward into D2 Eververse expanded though. It started offering emotes, shaders, sparrows (a hoverbike), weapon skins, armor skins, etc... You could earn these stuff in game though. Leveling up gave you a engram (a lootbox) that would give you this crap randomly. Alright. Then about 6 or so months after Forsaken and Bungie's redemption after their shitty D2 launch eventually it was announced they'd be splitting with Activision. Players were celebrating. Finally this demon on the back of Bungie would be exorcised and they can soar to new glorious heights. It was reported that Bungie employees were popping champaign. Bungie was free.

Bungie Freeman
Bungie's newest expansion after their split from Activision was called Shadowkeep and immediately you could tell something was off. It was almost wholly a reused map from Destiny 1 (the moon). There was a lot less content than the previous big expansion, Shadowkeep, and it also just ran... a little bit worse. Not awful, but not as cleanly. The cash shop was given a lot more relevance, you can no longer earn anything in the cash shop from RNG drops, only from cash purchases or with Bright Dust which is a resource players can earn in game to buy eververse gear, but its given out in pathetic dribbles. For the one big expansion of the year it was pretty sad.

After Forsaken Destiny started to drop seasonal content. Each season had its own gear and events to work on. They were fine. Shadowkeep introduced a Fortnite like rewards track where playing the game would get you stuff on the track. There was a paid track and a free track. The seasons following Shadowkeep were mostly pathetic. Pretty limited affairs that focused more on doing bounties (trivial objectives you can pick up that are basically kill 20 wolves with a handgun, that sort of crap) and with each season the game ran progressively worse. As of now there's lot of bugs, console runs like crap, exotics sometimes don't work properly, its a sad state.

So what happened? Bungies departure from Activision lost them 2 sub-studios that were supporting them. High Moon (I think) and Vicarious Visions. Supposedly a large portion of the well loved parts of Forsaken were made by these studios, especially Vicarious Visions, AND they were also responsible for the PC Port. So without these studios the game runs worse, has worse content, and is overall just... worse.

I typed all this crap because I find Bungie's mishandling of these series pretty fascinating. They have a golden goose (its made like 100's of millions of dollar iic) that they continually try to strangle themselves. There's been multiple articles about how BOTH Destiny 1 AND 2 had to be restarted mid development alongside lots of complaints of Glassdoor about how the leadership sucks. One of the best parts of those articles is that apparently different parts of the studio just don't effectively communicate with each other. It takes fucking FOREVER for balance patches with big changes to go through. And as of now they are creating Nontent and stuck in this free to play but also has paid content world. What was always a game about grinding has been boiled down to exercises of complete tedium. Repeat the most inane things for the most XP to cap off the rewards track. So much focus is put onto the cash shop. It seems like once again Destiny is on a downard slope straight into the fuckin ground. I've played a lot of Destiny because I did really enjoy the game. I've put it down though because it really does feel like there's nobody competent at the wheel and it's going nowhere. They have a pretty good art and writing team who are just wasted on a game that doesn't know what it wants to be or do.

Anyway I like talking about this game because I find the scale of its mishandling fascinating and it's continual rise and falls are very interesting to me. If anyone read this crap thanks and allah maak

Juri
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Juri » Fri May 01, 2020 4:07 am

I guess I could also be Grakthis. But I'm not Grakthis either.

Juri
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Juri » Fri May 01, 2020 4:08 am

Rebound

Dantes
Typewriter Monkey
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Dantes » Fri May 01, 2020 12:54 pm

That's a pretty good summary.

The gun play is fantastic, the lore is fantastic. The engagement loop is terrible and grind has become a slog. The community in general wants to love the game, but feels like Bungie is mismanaging the game into the ground.

Grakthis
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by Grakthis » Fri May 01, 2020 1:51 pm

Dantes wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:56 pm Man the Destiny community is not happy right now. Someone doxxed one of the community managers yesterday.

It's weird because he uses his real name everywhere so it doesn't seem like he'd be hard to dox or that if someone did there would really be any concern of anything bad happening?

But yeah. I mean obv I'm not playing it for a reason. There's just no compelling reason TO play right now? It's just yet another event to do a thing to gain levels to get guns that I'm not super excited about getting.

What keeps me engaged is guns that I really WANT to get or story missions that I am excited to play. An entire year of these "rank up a faction to get gear" was always going to kill people's interest in this game.
:grakiswrong:

Grakthis
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by Grakthis » Fri May 01, 2020 1:52 pm

I think maybe they thought trials would have more staying power but they screwed up trials too.

Like FFS a bunch of games of mastered competitive PVP systems and I don't know why Bungie won't just mimic those games.

Dantes
Typewriter Monkey
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Dantes » Fri May 01, 2020 2:21 pm

Grakthis wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 1:51 pm
Dantes wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:56 pm Man the Destiny community is not happy right now. Someone doxxed one of the community managers yesterday.

It's weird because he uses his real name everywhere so it doesn't seem like he'd be hard to dox or that if someone did there would really be any concern of anything bad happening?

But yeah. I mean obv I'm not playing it for a reason. There's just no compelling reason TO play right now? It's just yet another event to do a thing to gain levels to get guns that I'm not super excited about getting.

What keeps me engaged is guns that I really WANT to get or story missions that I am excited to play. An entire year of these "rank up a faction to get gear" was always going to kill people's interest in this game.
I actually kind of assumed you weren't playing because of having to stay on top of the kids and all the stuff with the move. I'm still playing, but not as much as I was. The guns this season are really meh and the seasonal events are not great.

The seasonal gun is fun, and so is Heir Apparent, but the utter lack of Ritual Weapons in Crucible/Strikes/Gambit was just utterly ridiculous.

I will say this much though, if you're a fan of swords this is the season. That passive guard mod is fucking sick. Warden of Nothing was the Nightfall a couple of weeks ago and running it was about the most fun I've had in Destiny strikes since we used to run the Sunless Cell in D1.

Grakthis
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by Grakthis » Fri May 01, 2020 2:50 pm

Dantes wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 2:21 pm
Grakthis wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 1:51 pm

I actually kind of assumed you weren't playing because of having to stay on top of the kids and all the stuff with the move. I'm still playing, but not as much as I was. The guns this season are really meh and the seasonal events are not great.

The seasonal gun is fun, and so is Heir Apparent, but the utter lack of Ritual Weapons in Crucible/Strikes/Gambit was just utterly ridiculous.

I will say this much though, if you're a fan of swords this is the season. That passive guard mod is fucking sick. Warden of Nothing was the Nightfall a couple of weeks ago and running it was about the most fun I've had in Destiny strikes since we used to run the Sunless Cell in D1.
It's some of both. We're spending a lot of evenings working on stuff for the new house and a lot of evenings just watching TV for a few hours then going to bed. The 1-2 nights a week I am playing games it's been Overwatch cause I haven't been motivated to play Destiny.

Dantes
Typewriter Monkey
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Dantes » Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:10 pm

Feel like running Vault of Glass again?

Doug
Has anybody seen my parrot
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:14 pm

Soon found out
It was a Vault of Glass
It's your turn in Cthulhu Wars
It's your turn in Squirrel Wars
It's your turn in Demon Wars
It's your turn in Wall Street Wars

http://devilsbiscuit.com/

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:16 pm

Seemed like the real thing, only to find
They could just shatter the glass, so it really didn't function very well as a vault
u gotta skate

Dantes
Typewriter Monkey
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Dantes » Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:18 pm

Vault of Glass was the original Destiny raid. It was a lot of fun.

Grakthis
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by Grakthis » Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:03 pm

Alright then, I'm back. I think this season is gonna give me some stuff to do then I'll hibernate again until Sept but then I'm back 100% in sept.

Dantes
Typewriter Monkey
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Dantes » Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:19 pm

Grakthis wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:03 pm Alright then, I'm back. I think this season is gonna give me some stuff to do then I'll hibernate again until Sept but then I'm back 100% in sept.
Sounds like we know what the stranger meant when she said she wasn't forged in the light.

Darkness guardians on the menu.

Dantes
Typewriter Monkey
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Dantes » Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:22 pm

Also, looking forward to running Will of Crota again. That is a hell of a strike.

Grakthis
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by Grakthis » Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:28 pm

Dantes wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:22 pm Also, looking forward to running Will of Crota again. That is a hell of a strike.
So yeah, we get all the cosmodrome strikes, right? So Will, Sepiks and what, wretched eye (I)? I think that was in the cosmodrome right?

Dantes
Typewriter Monkey
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Dantes » Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:33 pm

Grakthis wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:28 pm
Dantes wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:22 pm Also, looking forward to running Will of Crota again. That is a hell of a strike.
So yeah, we get all the cosmodrome strikes, right? So Will, Sepiks and what, wretched eye (I) (I)? I think that was in the cosmodrome right?
Eventually. We get will out of the gate, with the Cosmodrome reaching full D1Y1 parity by the second season.

Will of Crota
Devil’s Lair
Fallen S.A.B.R.E.

Grakthis
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by Grakthis » Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:40 pm

Dantes wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:33 pm
Grakthis wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:28 pm
So yeah, we get all the cosmodrome strikes, right? So Will, Sepiks and what, wretched eye (I) (I) (I)? I think that was in the cosmodrome right?
Eventually. We get will out of the gate, with the Cosmodrome reaching full D1Y1 parity by the second season.

Will of Crota
Devil’s Lair
Fallen S.A.B.R.E.
I don't even remember fallen SABRE.... is that the one with the giant Shank at the end?

Dantes
Typewriter Monkey
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Dantes » Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:44 pm

It is.

Grakthis
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by Grakthis » Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:55 pm

Dantes wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:44 pmIt is.
Alright, I'm down for that. That sounds fun enough.

D1 was good times, I am excited to see pieces of it come forward. I think the vault idea is a good one overall and I think having content rotate out will make it exciting when the content comes back. Especially if they make it a point to "refresh" it in some way when it comes back (i.e. make the rewards useful for end game play). This also makes it cool and exciting when specific weapons or gear come back. Good changes overall.

I don't mind the weapon retirement mechanic either.

I am waiting to see what LL the dungeon will be but I know Chris and I are down to run the dungeon once we know. Not tonight obv but this week or weekend seems plausible if we don't have too much catch up to do.