Become Legend

Shitposting, Video Games, Manga, and Anime

Moderator: Wumpy

Dantes
Typewriter Monkey
Typewriter Monkey

Destiny

Post by Dantes » Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:31 pm

Since it's going free to play today and Shadow Keep is launching, I thought I'd start a thread for it.

I know Andy and I are big fans. Not certain if anyone else plays though.
Pour like Hemingway's last call.

Dantes
Typewriter Monkey
Typewriter Monkey

Re: Destiny

Post by Dantes » Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:31 pm

Moon's haunted

Doug
Has anybody seen my parrot
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:38 pm

You're not done with Borderlands already, are you
It's your turn in Cthulhu Wars
It's your turn in Squirrel Wars
It's your turn in Demon Wars
It's your turn in Wall Street Wars

http://devilsbiscuit.com/

Dantes
Typewriter Monkey
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Dantes » Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:46 pm

Doug wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:38 pm You're not done with Borderlands already, are you
Of course not, I haven't even beaten the main story yet.

But I am also a Guardian of the last city, and Moon's Haunted.

Doug
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:56 pm

Wait are you a guardian of something called "Moon's Haunted," or are you a guardian and the moon is haunted

Dantes
Typewriter Monkey
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Dantes » Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:59 pm

Doug wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:56 pm Wait are you a guardian of something called "Moon's Haunted," or are you a guardian and the moon is haunted
Moon's haunted.

Doug
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:01 pm

Ah

Well it's probably Old Man Witherspoon

Dantes
Typewriter Monkey
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Dantes » Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:19 pm

I find that Bordelands is something that I want to play for multi-hour stretches. Destiny is something I can play for short sessions. Also, there is a lot of different activities you can do in Destiny depending on what you're in the mood for.

There is a ridiculous amount of content.

Grakthis
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by Grakthis » Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:41 pm

I'll be on tonight. Chris bought shadowkeep and even if he's not excited for all of the stuff he's excited for new story missions.

I plan to play more now that they have made the level change so all my stuff is 750
:grakiswrong:

Dantes
Typewriter Monkey
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Dantes » Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:13 pm

I wasn't able to get in until after eight last night. I spent a bit of time figuring things out and I played some of the base campaign.

Their new model is quite literally the Fortnite seasonal model grafted onto an evolving epic saga. Which might actually work. It'll be interesting to see if the bet pays off.

Dantes
Typewriter Monkey
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Dantes » Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:14 pm

Also, the moon is seriously haunted. And it was great going back to Archer's Line. I forgot how much I liked the moon.

Grakthis
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by Grakthis » Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:07 pm

Dantes wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:13 pm I wasn't able to get in until after eight last night. I spent a bit of time figuring things out and I played some of the base campaign.

Their new model is quite literally the Fortnite seasonal model grafted onto an evolving epic saga. Which might actually work. It'll be interesting to see if the bet pays off.

Shit I didn't invite you to party because I figured you'd already been playing for a long time. We made it up until you do the first new strike then stopped.

I didn't realize it was going to be the same moon map. So yeah, going down into the hellmouth and shit was super fucking cool.

I was enjoying the seasonal unlocks thing cause I actually cared about leveling for once. I'm playing on my Hunter primarily right now but will probably level all of them eventually.

Skeletor
How'd you know that loving kittens is my one defining trait?
Forum Elf

Post by Skeletor » Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:59 pm

Should I play this game now that it's on Steam? Do I need a party to actually enjoy it? And does it need to be a party of newbs? So many questions
wow, [you]. that all sounds terrible. i hope it gets better for you

Grakthis
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by Grakthis » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:27 pm

Skeletor wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:59 pm Should I play this game now that it's on Steam? Do I need a party to actually enjoy it? And does it need to be a party of newbs? So many questions
So, no, you don't need a party to enjoy it but the experience of playing it with a party is a better one. But it's fun solo. I've spent hundreds of hours playing solo. But the highest end activities are either 3-man or 6-man activities. There is quite a bit of matchmaking for many of the activities, but not all of them. Raids, dungeons and nightfalls do not match make, for example, and those are considered the "highest" end activities.

But your average quests, strikes, PVP, etc is all either solo-able or match-mad.

One of the goals of New Light was to make it so new players and existing players could immediately play together. It used to be you had to put in about 20-30 hours of story missions before you could even think about playing with your friends. Now you can jump in and play with your friends immediately.

The new daunting task is saying "Ok, but what do I do?" And I am not entirely sure, TBH. A lot of the story missions are free. So you should play those because they are fun. But then things like which guns to chase, and do you play gambit, and do you do forges.... I don't know? Totally up to you and what you find fun.

For me, first and foremost, I enjoy following the main quest lines. But this is a game that has basically been evolving for 2 years now and there is a LOT of content for it and looking at the huge list of activities available to you and not knowing which ones to do is definitely a thing.

I play on PC and Xbox, so I definitely could help with stuff on PC. Now that it's free, we may see more people we know playing on PC.

Skeletor
Forum Elf

Post by Skeletor » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:29 pm

Yeah I see a number of people on my friends list playing

Grakthis
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by Grakthis » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:54 pm

Skeletor wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:29 pm Yeah I see a number of people on my friends list playing
It's hard to beat "free" for hundreds of hours of MMO content.

The game can be as light and fun as you want or as intense and grindy as you want. There's an experience there for everyone. You just have to like the idea of playing a shooter MMO.

Dantes
Typewriter Monkey
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Dantes » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:56 pm

Grakthis wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:27 pm
Skeletor wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:59 pm Should I play this game now that it's on Steam? Do I need a party to actually enjoy it? And does it need to be a party of newbs? So many questions
So, no, you don't need a party to enjoy it but the experience of playing it with a party is a better one. But it's fun solo. I've spent hundreds of hours playing solo. But the highest end activities are either 3-man or 6-man activities. There is quite a bit of matchmaking for many of the activities, but not all of them. Raids, dungeons and nightfalls do not match make, for example, and those are considered the "highest" end activities.

But your average quests, strikes, PVP, etc is all either solo-able or match-mad.

One of the goals of New Light was to make it so new players and existing players could immediately play together. It used to be you had to put in about 20-30 hours of story missions before you could even think about playing with your friends. Now you can jump in and play with your friends immediately.

The new daunting task is saying "Ok, but what do I do?" And I am not entirely sure, TBH. A lot of the story missions are free. So you should play those because they are fun. But then things like which guns to chase, and do you play gambit, and do you do forges.... I don't know? Totally up to you and what you find fun.

For me, first and foremost, I enjoy following the main quest lines. But this is a game that has basically been evolving for 2 years now and there is a LOT of content for it and looking at the huge list of activities available to you and not knowing which ones to do is definitely a thing.

I play on PC and Xbox, so I definitely could help with stuff on PC. Now that it's free, we may see more people we know playing on PC.
They do now.

Skeletor
Forum Elf

Post by Skeletor » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:57 pm

A lot of the people on my friends list get every game on Steam for free, so it’s not *that* hard to beat

Dantes
Typewriter Monkey
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Dantes » Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:00 pm

Grakthis wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:54 pm
Skeletor wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:29 pm Yeah I see a number of people on my friends list playing
It's hard to beat "free" for hundreds of hours of MMO content.

The game can be as light and fun as you want or as intense and grindy as you want. There's an experience there for everyone. You just have to like the idea of playing a shooter MMO.
Also it's a sweeping fantasy epic, IN SPACE.

For most of Destiny 1 we were running strikes together and I was running around with a ridiculous sword chopping things to bits. It was fun.

Juri
We're Knights of the Round Table
We attack each turn if able
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Juri » Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:21 am

Skeletor wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:57 pm A lot of the people on my friends list get every game on Steam for free, so it’s not *that* hard to beat
wow thats like $2,000 worth of Railworks DLC

Dantes
Typewriter Monkey
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Dantes » Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:47 pm

Andy, Chris, and I played last night. We ran around on the moon for a couple of hours. I had a ridiculous sword and was chopping things to bit.

Very nostalgic.

Juri
We're Knights of the Round Table
We attack each turn if able
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Juri » Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:16 pm

how haunted was the moon?

Grakthis
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by Grakthis » Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:37 pm

Juri wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:16 pm how haunted was the moon?
It's pretty fucking haunted. Like, an 8.5/10.

It's fun to have a reason to do patrols / bounties again, which I feel like got left behind for most of year 2 except the seasonal ones (black armory etc).

Just running around archers line doing patrols and bounties is some serious 2014 nostalgia.

drk
Birds are wild
Posting Automaton

Post by drk » Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:09 pm

Juri wrote:how haunted was the moon?
*loads pistol*

Dantes
Typewriter Monkey
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Dantes » Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:24 pm

drk wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:09 pm
Juri wrote:how haunted was the moon?
*loads pistol*
Correct answer.

Dantes
Typewriter Monkey
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Dantes » Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:20 pm

TWAB actually has a video of someone successfully jumping the Hellmouth.

Grakthis
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by Grakthis » Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:14 pm

Dantes wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:20 pm TWAB actually has a video of someone successfully jumping the Hellmouth.
NICE.

You knew someone would get it.

Last night since you and Chris were gone I spent a few hours working on black armory stuff and just generally dicking around with old quests I have never completed and HOLY SHIT THERE ARE A LOT OF NEW PLAYERS.

Like, basically, don't try to make any public events heroic, because unless you can do it solo without any help you're fucked. People murdering the cryo boss while I'm trying to blow up the vents is basically a summary of my night.

I ran EP through level 7 with a bunch of people who didn't even know to pick up the swords and certainly didn't know to kill the exploding thrull, so I just let them kill the boss and I worried about the thrull and it worked. But then after level 7 they all left. Like, they thought it was over. lol. But I was able to get the stuff I needed for BA in that run so it was fine.

It's fun to be back in the game just dicking around. Got my light level up to about 850 max, I hear when you hit 900 is when the actual grind starts.

Dantes
Typewriter Monkey
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Dantes » Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:28 pm

Grakthis wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:14 pm
Dantes wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:20 pm TWAB actually has a video of someone successfully jumping the Hellmouth.
NICE.

Last night since you and Chris were gone I spent a few hours working on black armory stuff and just generally dicking around with old quests I have never completed and HOLY SHIT THERE ARE A LOT OF NEW PLAYERS.

Like, basically, don't try to make any public events heroic, because unless you can do it solo without any help you're fucked. People murdering the cryo boss while I'm trying to blow up the vents is basically a summary of my night.

I ran EP through level 7 with a bunch of people who didn't even know to pick up the swords and certainly didn't know to kill the exploding thrull, so I just let them kill the boss and I worried about the thrull and it worked. But then after level 7 they all left. Like, they thought it was over. lol. But I was able to get the stuff I needed for BA in that run so it was fine.

It's fun to be back in the game just dicking around. Got my light level up to about 850 max, I hear when you hit 900 is when the actual grind starts.
Blueberries and kinderguardians, god love 'em.

Yeah, the soft cap is 900 now, the real grind starts there. I'm around 885. You must have got off right about when I was able to get on because I didn't see you. I have my artifact unlocked, I'm actually somewhat enthused about this model, I think it's going to take me the better part of the season to get all the way to 100.

Grakthis
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by Grakthis » Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:21 pm

Dantes wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:28 pm
Grakthis wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:14 pm
NICE.

Blueberries and kinderguardians, god love 'em.

Yeah, the soft cap is 900 now, the real grind starts there. I'm around 885. You must have got off right about when I was able to get on because I didn't see you. I have my artifact unlocked, I'm actually somewhat enthused about this model, I think it's going to take me the better part of the season to get all the way to 100.
I saw your sign-on like right as I was finishing up in the tower and signing off.

BTW being able to launch black armory from orbit is tits.

Apparently we can also launch shattered throne the same way though with the nerfs to weapons I am not sure how solo-able that is anymore.

Once we all get to around 900 and finish the shadowkeep stuff we probably need to look into getting outbreak perfected and shit.

I need to work on the truth quest, and get jotun... lots of shit to do.

Dantes
Typewriter Monkey
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Dantes » Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:16 pm

I got Monte Carlo back over the weekend.

Damn I missed that gun.