for all things digital animal fighting

Shitposting, Video Games, Manga, and Anime

Moderator: Wumpy

seathesee
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

pokemons

Post by seathesee » Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:43 pm

hey its pokemon! post about it here if you care to.

its that time of year where i care about competitive pokemon for a month or so. i am playing battle stadium singles, preferably on the cartridge, but mostly on showdown. here is my current team:

i have all of these on cartridge except the corsola--im having a hard time finding a hidden ability one--and my main goal is to rank up on cartridge.

the format for battle stadium singles is everyone brings six mons. pokemon and the items they carry must be unique. no legendaries. you get to see your opponents six. you then select three (and which one starts).

i am currently opening ferrothorn, with quagsire and hydreigon for about 80% of my matches. the team leaves a lot to be desired really. it covers a lot of weaknesses, but hydreigon feels pretty out classed by dragapult and to a lesser degree gyrados. as of writing this i am 25-14 on showdown, and probably like 6-4 on cart.

moving forward, i think i want a knockoff user of some type. i also want to reevaluate which sweepers i use. switching dragapult in for hydreigon would be easy, but everyone is using dragapult and that seems kind of boring to me. my walls need a bit of a change up too--im underwhelmed with corsola. i kind of want to try umbreon in that slot. quagsire has been pretty good (i love unaware), but his walling leaves a little to be desired. i think ill keep him for now, but he may just be not strong enough. i never use the excadril.
with love, your good friend, seathesee

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Re: pokemons

Post by Crunchums » Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:48 pm

u gotta skate

Khaos
They should have sent a poet.
Forum Elf

Post by Khaos » Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:52 pm

255 caps in 2019 *shakes head*

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:54 pm

is level 50 the maximum level instead of 100? if so, why is that?

i looked into competitive pokemon a while ago, and felt like it just didn't seem very fun. idk
u gotta skate

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:55 pm

Khaos wrote:255 caps in 2019 *shakes head*
i am curious what this means
u gotta skate

seathesee
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by seathesee » Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:01 pm

Crunchums wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:54 pm is level 50 the maximum level instead of 100? if so, why is that?
50 is just the level pokemon get set to in competitive (also in battle tower in single player) to ensure a level field, while not requiring the effort of maxing out every mon. 100 is still the cap in single player.
Crunchums wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:54 pmi looked into competitive pokemon a while ago, and felt like it just didn't seem very fun. idk
i can see that. i think it is a "good game TM", though. there are a bunch of ways to customize the mons--natures, ev spreads, held items, moves--and they are working on expanding the amount of usable mons. there is a lot of team diversity, and in this generation it appears no "best" mons (though there are "bad" ones). so, its a pretty complex game of rock paper scissors. there is a lot of guessing your opponents thought process. there is a lot of knowledge sport mixed in. team comp is a solid game in and of itself.

i think having them on cratridge adds to the enjoyment, by making me feel a sense of ownership and sentimental attachment. this past generation has made acquiring competitive mons WAY easier and cut down on the time necessary to get exactly what you want, which is nice. its also an easy multitask game while watching sports, listening to podcasts, whatever.

seathesee
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by seathesee » Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:07 pm

here is a match i just had where i feel i outplayed my opponent pretty hard: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8 ... 1018097866

he may have lost it mostly in team selection, though.

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:08 pm

seathesee wrote: 50 is just the level pokemon get set to in competitive (also in battle tower in single player) to ensure a level field, while not requiring the effort of maxing out every mon. 100 is still the cap in single player.
so if you come in with a pokemon at level 5 it will get scaled up to 50? neat
u gotta skate

Hoshi
Fallen Star
Cardboard Robot

Post by Hoshi » Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:09 pm

I have played a bunch of matches against my friend who actually plays (semi)competitively and Umbreon really impressed me.

Khaos
Forum Elf

Post by Khaos » Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:10 pm

Crunchums wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:55 pm
Khaos wrote:255 caps in 2019 *shakes head*
i am curious what this means
if you store values in 8 bits, the maximum amount you can count to is 256 (2^8) or 255 if you also count 0. lots of really old games have caps on the number of items you can store, your level, or stats, or whatever at 255 for this reason

seathesee
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by seathesee » Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:11 pm

Crunchums wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:08 pm
seathesee wrote: 50 is just the level pokemon get set to in competitive (also in battle tower in single player) to ensure a level field, while not requiring the effort of maxing out every mon. 100 is still the cap in single player.
so if you come in with a pokemon at level 5 it will get scaled up to 50? neat
im actually not sure this is the case, and think it isnt. most of the time you need to level them up to around there for moves/evolutions anyways, though.

Khaos
Forum Elf

Post by Khaos » Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:12 pm

wait you're in software you already know all this. i guess my wording was just confusing

seathesee
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by seathesee » Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:15 pm

Hoshi wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:09 pm I have played a bunch of matches against my friend who actually plays (semi)competitively and Umbreon really impressed me.
its a lot bulkier than i thought previously and has a pretty good movepool. it also looks nice so thats fun.

were you playing on showdown?

Hoshi
Fallen Star
Cardboard Robot

Post by Hoshi » Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:16 pm

seathesee wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:07 pm here is a match i just had where i feel i outplayed my opponent pretty hard: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8 ... 1018097866

Wtf were those Stockpiles, wasn't paired with any move and wasn't ever used to actually try to majorly panzer up.

seathesee
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by seathesee » Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:17 pm

i think he was just desperate. toxapex wasnt going to be able to do anything to the ferrothorn. he was going to struggle out at some point (if i wasnt able to kill him after his pp on recover ran out).

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:21 pm

seathesee wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:01 pm i can see that. i think it is a "good game TM", though. there are a bunch of ways to customize the mons--natures, ev spreads, held items, moves--and they are working on expanding the amount of usable mons. there is a lot of team diversity, and in this generation it appears no "best" mons (though there are "bad" ones). so, its a pretty complex game of rock paper scissors. there is a lot of guessing your opponents thought process. there is a lot of knowledge sport mixed in. team comp is a solid game in and of itself.
yeah my conclusion was it was so much information that you need to learn, and then once you put in all that effort you're mostly just playing RPS. and so many pokemon just aren't good enough, which i can't complain about, of course that's going to be the case, and anyway they've got tiers set up to solve that problem. basically all I would want to do is to find the tier that Ampharos is in and then build a team around him
u gotta skate

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:25 pm

Khaos wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:10 pm if you store values in 8 bits, the maximum amount you can count to is 256 (2^8) or 255 if you also count 0. lots of really old games have caps on the number of items you can store, your level, or stats, or whatever at 255 for this reason
just because a limit is defined by technical limitations doesn't make it bad. like (i think) the cap on EV for one stat is 255, but probably the game wouldn't be better if you got rid of that cap
:robert:
u gotta skate

seathesee
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by seathesee » Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:28 pm

the 255 is for friendship, which is a really unimportant (and hidden) stat, that has little to no competitive implication. EVs are capped at 252 for each stat, and 508 total, which feels like an arbitrary number to me, but maybe has some sort of programming rationale.

Khaos
Forum Elf

Post by Khaos » Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:28 pm

Crunchums wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:25 pm
Khaos wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:10 pm if you store values in 8 bits, the maximum amount you can count to is 256 (2^8) or 255 if you also count 0. lots of really old games have caps on the number of items you can store, your level, or stats, or whatever at 255 for this reason
just because a limit is defined by technical limitations doesn't make it bad. like (i think) the cap on EV for one stat is 255, but probably the game wouldn't be better if you got rid of that cap
:robert:
oh of course not. i just don't like the seemingly arbitrary number (from a layman's perspective, anyway)

you could cap it at a different number. im partial to 100, but you could choose a bigger number if you're a stickler for fidelity

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:30 pm

Khaos wrote: oh of course not. i just don't like the seemingly arbitrary number (from a layman's perspective, anyway)
how do you feel about the 1/256 miss chance on all moves (other than Swift) in Gen 1? : P
u gotta skate

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:31 pm

Khaos wrote:you could cap it at a different number. im partial to 100, but you could choose a bigger number if you're a stickler for fidelity
how about 1024 :morph:
u gotta skate

Juri
We're Knights of the Round Table
We attack each turn if able
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Juri » Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:43 pm

seathesee wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:07 pm here is a match i just had where i feel i outplayed my opponent pretty hard: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8 ... 1018097866

your opponent is deranged. their dynamax timing and move selection during that period is completely beyond my comprehension

Juri
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Juri » Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:46 pm

Pokemon needs to rip the guts out of their under-the-hood systems and overhaul them into something that isn't a byzantine grind, but I don't really care whether or not there's round numbers in the mix or not so long as that happens (it won't)

Juri
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Juri » Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:00 am

I spend a bunch of time on showdown, but I basically don't play any of the constructed formats, so it seems like we're sort of playing different games. If you ever want to jam some randbats feel free to hit me up though

Faceless
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by Faceless » Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:41 pm

Eviolite Corsola is great
"Ireland’s Ireland and Scotland’s Scotland anyone who thinks different is a cunt" - Liam Gallagher

Juri
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Juri » Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:44 pm

Eviolite is a really cool item

Faceless
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by Faceless » Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:43 am

Also learning about competitive pokemon and it feels a lot more like MtG than it does like my personal experiences with various pokemon games, which is really cool
"Ireland’s Ireland and Scotland’s Scotland anyone who thinks different is a cunt" - Liam Gallagher

Hoshi
Fallen Star
Cardboard Robot

Post by Hoshi » Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:20 am

seathesee wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:15 pm were you playing on showdown?
Yeah I play on showdown. We did a fun thing on cart where we did 6 wonder trades to get random pokes, and then we had to use those pokes to all battle each other. But me and another friend were so slow about actually getting our teams ready compared to this PokeGuy I play with so he kept getting all gently mad at us to hurry up and we haven't done it again.

Like Juri though me and PokeGuy mostly just play randoms 1v1 or 2v2.

Juri
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Juri » Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:59 pm

Hoshi wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:20 am
seathesee wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:15 pm were you playing on showdown?
Yeah I play on showdown. We did a fun thing on cart where we did 6 wonder trades to get random pokes, and then we had to use those pokes to all battle each other. But me and another friend were so slow about actually getting our teams ready compared to this PokeGuy I play with so he kept getting all gently mad at us to hurry up and we haven't done it again.

Like Juri though me and PokeGuy mostly just play randoms 1v1 or 2v2.
Playing randbats on retail using wonder trades sounds pretty cool

Juri
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Juri » Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:00 pm

Well except for some of retail's absolutely respectless animations and UI elements. But I think your format is good!