Re: Why aren't there potions in magic

Post by Ashenai » Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:21 pm

that is pretty good

pterrus
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by pterrus » Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:49 pm

the_zoomies wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:26 pm The top down design of struggling to find a bottle opener is immaculate
The first ability is where you attempt to wrest with your bare hands and cut yourself for 4 on the broken glass.

Khaos
They should have sent a poet.
Forum Elf

Post by Khaos » Tue May 04, 2021 8:13 pm

ok i might put these in my cube

Potion of Strength
G
Instant - Potion
Put two +1/+1 buffs and a trample buff on target creature you control. (At the beginning of your upkeep, remove one buff from each permanent you control.)

Potion of Courage
W
Instant - Potion
Choose a colour. Put a protection from the chosen colour buff on target creature you control. Repeat this process once. (Both buffs go on the same creature. At the beginning of your upkeep, remove one buff from each permanent you control.)

Skeletor
How'd you know that loving kittens is my one defining trait?
Forum Elf

Post by Skeletor » Tue May 04, 2021 8:43 pm

Please do
wow, [you]. that all sounds terrible. i hope it gets better for you

Khaos
They should have sent a poet.
Forum Elf

Post by Khaos » Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:33 pm

i mentioned that we should make a potion board game in the discord. here are my notes for the game!

many different zones will spawn resources. the game starts with each zone having a "spawn rate" that can later be modified

the resources are used to brew potions (when you brew a potion, get the potion effect and some number of VP's) and these can also mess with spawn rates to make them more common or more rare

you roll a custom dice to see which zones spawn, and the dice are weighted so common zones spawn resources more often, and so on

game starts with 8 zones: (plant zones) mushrooms/nightshade, (insect zones) spiders/beetles, (lizard zones) toads/newts, (magic zones) fairies/gold apples - these start as common, uncommon, rare, and mythical spawn rates. maybe zones are added as the game goes on? not sure

each round, roll two 10 sided dice for each player in the game (so on average 4 resources spawn per player). each potion will cost on average 4 ingredients so you're crafting 1 per turn ideally, but later one maybe you'll get more per turn if there are more things that increase spawn rates rather than decrease them

faces of the 10-sided dice:
Mythical
Rare
Rare
Uncommon
Uncommon
Uncommon
Common
Common
Common
Common

at the start of your turn, you pick a zone to harvest and get all the resources at that location. it may include extra resources that werent harvested in previous rounds.

you can discover new recipes by experimenting, and you start with a bunch of recipes at random, as well as some basic ones maybe. maybe a basic one is "experimental potion" and its 4 or 5 of any ingredient and gives you some points and lets you draw a new potion recipe card? or look at three and pick one.

magic ingredients could have special attributes they add to any potion they're used in. maybe fairies are wildcards and golden apples give you additional VP's when used in a recipe

potion of flouride to reduce spawn rates in a zone or two (probably primary method of interaction, besides harvesting areas other people use. used to mess with other players)
potion of spawning to increase rates in a zone or two
potion of invisibility to steal resources. i feel like this should effect all opponents and not just one? or maybe the opponent with the most VP's?
potion of forgetfulness - put a forget counter on a recipe, next time it's made remove the counter instead of doing the effect(they still get points) see above "anti-fun" clause
probably a bunch of "engine" transmutation potion recipes which help you convert resources from one type to another, or help you get more resources in general

KingRamz
We are not amused.
Cardboard Robot

Post by KingRamz » Wed Jul 07, 2021 7:18 pm

There's a potion now

Ashenai
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Ashenai » Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:51 am

Why aren't there good potions in magic

the_zoomies
Attaboy! You finished my labyrinth and I'm proud of you!
Let's party like it's 1899

Post by the_zoomies » Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:50 am

Ashenai wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:51 am Why aren't there good potions in magic
Darksteel draft playable, nub.