we're all gonna die

Shitposting, Video Games, Manga, and Anime

Moderator: Wumpy

Ashenai
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Wildermyth

Post by Ashenai » Fri Dec 10, 2021 5:00 pm

Disclaimer: Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Wildermyth is fantasy X-COM with a procedural story that is nonetheless supposed to be very good! I decided to give it a shot, and I decided to name all the characters after grobot people. Let's see what happens!

I generated three characters:

The titles (Goofish Hothead etc.) are generated based on personality traits, specifically the top two from this list (this one's Ashenai's):

Very good and accurate backstories are generated:

And we're off!

I picked the hardest difficulty, and ironman/hardcore/whatever mode. So we're probably gonna die. But it is the tutorial campaign, so possibly not? Let's find out.

Ashenai
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Re: Wildermyth

Post by Ashenai » Fri Dec 10, 2021 5:23 pm

Footloose and fancy free!

Look, some people choose barrel-fights, and others have barrel-fights thrust upon them.

This is our first choice of the game. I picked the first choice, which apparently set me on a path of rivalry with Khaos. This immediately becomes apparent in our interactions.

A movement tutorial. XCOM fans won't need any explanations.

TYPICAL.

Anyway, Khaos explains that there are corrupted beasts wandering the streets. We decide to go beat one up.

I get to choose my starting weapon! Pickaxe seems fine. Its attacks are armor shredding, which means they degrade the enemy's damage reduction, if any.

Anyway, we beat up the first enemy, a corrupted roe. Khaos plinks at it with arrows and I brain it with my pickaxe. Easy stuff.

I pick Thundering Challenge, because I like CC abilities in games like this. Swift Action means you can do it in addition to your normal double move or move+attack (although only one swift action per turn).

Umer gets Jumpjaw traps, because again, CC is good, and also it's very engineer-y. It puts down a 3x3 field, and the first enemy to step in it gets pinned (unable to move) and takes some damage.

We put out the flames, the village is perhaps safe for now.

Umer is apparently Rylinks' friend.

Rylinks is not doing great in his mage tower, but he seems pretty stoic about his fate, all told.

Very on point, I must say.

Ashenai
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Ashenai » Fri Dec 10, 2021 5:47 pm

This is what the world map looks like. Long-term, the objective is to capture and hold locations from the incursions of the corruption. Each held location gives resources over time. I'm not sure what they're used for yet.

Our short-term objective is to scout Zigdyr tower to the west, and find Rylinks, our mystic.

Rylinks finds a book in the tower he has never seen before. It!s called the Wildermyth. A book of stories. And there seems to be room for one more.

I... assume the spoon would graduate to wands later on? I'm not sure. I picked the staff.

Next is a battle tutorial with Rylinks against a single corrupted racoon. The magic system is very cool in this game! Instead of traditional spells, magic is based on "interfusion"; the wizard attunes himself to objects in the world (actual terrain features, like cupboards or torches), and then uses them as the source for attacks. For example, interfusing with a torch here gives Rylinks the "Steal Flame" ability: he can throw fire from the torch to a nearby square, setting it on fire. Interfusing with a cupboard would give him Splinterblast, exploding it for area-of-effect damage. Interfusing with a basket of clothes grants Constrict, letting him summon fabric from the basket to tie up and crush enemies. It's a great system!

Anyway, Rylinks blows up a bunch of wooden furniture near the racoon until it's dead.

He gets Mythweaver, it seemed the most interesting and potentially powerful option.

We find Rylinks and have ourselves a bit of banter.

We decide to go back in and clear out the tower. There could be more useful stuff in there.

TIME FOR SOME BARREL FIGHTIN'

I went with Rylinks' methodical option, which gave +Stoicism (?), and gave us +1 Armor and +1 Resistance for our first serious fight.

The fight was pretty tough. Everyone made it out alive, but wounded. MVP was Khaos, setting up traps to lock enemies in place and then flanking them for double damage with his dagger. Rylinks interfused himself with a pile of books then attempted to "Loredump" enemies, which does mental damage and stuns, but he was only mildly successful. He did finish off a wounded enemy by hitting it in the face with his staff, though.

The combat system is very XCOM-y, with a lot of inspiration drawn from D&D. Positioning is extremely important. I do like that 100% accuracy is possible; so far I've only seen it for flanking attacks.

So say we all.

Ashenai
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Ashenai » Fri Dec 10, 2021 5:56 pm

The game has an anti-grinding system called Calamities. After every fight (apparently), AND after a certain time passes, the enemies get a new Calamity (a power up). You can spend resources (Legacy Points) to cancel existing calamities, but you can only get Legacy Points by completing objectives.

The current map. The 117 number up top is the number of days until the next Calamity. Days go by fast: securing the tower so it will give us resources will take well over a month (if we do it meticulously, in which case we can also find an item), or somewhat less than that if we forego the item.

My current plan is to have Rylinks and Umer do a quick job on the tower (this will take 25 days), while Ashenai goes back to Goodflank to pick up someone who I hope will be the fourth member of the Gritty Grobots. Post to lemme know if that should be you! (I assume I will get to generate this character as well).

Khaos
They should have sent a poet.
Forum Elf

Post by Khaos » Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:26 pm

super cool

Doug
Has anybody seen my parrot
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:56 pm

Your character looks like Tintin but with hair
It's your turn in Cthulhu Wars
It's your turn in Squirrel Wars
It's your turn in Demon Wars
It's your turn in Wall Street Wars

http://devilsbiscuit.com/

Ashenai
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Ashenai » Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:23 pm

Tintin but without hair would have been more accurate, but hey artistic license

Jeb Bush 2012
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by Jeb Bush 2012 » Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:35 pm

I've played only slightly more than you (done the first chapter of the first campaign) and I agree with your impressions, very cool. I wonder what extent ironman is the "correct" way to play, it feels like there's stuff pushing both ways in the mechanics

(minor mechanical spoilers for the incursion in case you want to do it totally blind)
Spoiler!
the incursion was a surprisingly large difficulty spike to me, I think the intent is that you are supposed to either fortify and wait for it or let it burn itself out, I wiped myself on it the first time by running out and attacking it head-on
anyway I would like to be a guy please, as khaos's nemesis I think Jeb en-Khao would be appropriate

Doug
Has anybody seen my parrot
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:35 pm

No I meant Rylinks
It's your turn in Cthulhu Wars
It's your turn in Squirrel Wars
It's your turn in Demon Wars
It's your turn in Wall Street Wars

http://devilsbiscuit.com/

Ashenai
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Ashenai » Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:44 pm

Oh yeah. I picked that face for him solely because of the wry mouth shape. Very Rylinxian, to my mind.

Ashenai
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Ashenai » Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:47 pm

Jeb Bush 2012 wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:35 pm I've played only slightly more than you (done the first chapter of the first campaign) and I agree with your impressions, very cool. I wonder what extent ironman is the "correct" way to play, it feels like there's stuff pushing both ways in the mechanics
I guess we'll find out! I play every game as ironman where I'm offered the option, and even most where I'm not.
(minor mechanical spoilers for the incursion in case you want to do it totally blind)
Spoiler!
the incursion was a surprisingly large difficulty spike to me, I think the intent is that you are supposed to either fortify and wait for it or let it burn itself out, I wiped myself on it the first time by running out and attacking it head-on
I don't mind minor spoilers, good to know. I'll try to play it somewhat safe.
anyway I would like to be a guy please, as khaos's nemesis I think Jeb en-Khao would be appropriate
Sure thing. We need a personality for Jeb, what do you guys think is appropriate?

Rylinks
her skirt got quite a lot smaller,
but her heart is still the same
size it was before
Forum Elf

Post by Rylinks » Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:57 pm

i like how one of the personality traits is just 'healer'

hey idiots need someone to heal? pick this one

Ashenai
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Ashenai » Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:07 pm

I assume it's, like, supportive or nurturing or something. The quote for it is "You doing okay? If you want, I can help." None of the personality traits give actual bonuses to anything, as far as I know, they're only relevant in the story.

Khaos
Forum Elf

Post by Khaos » Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:33 pm

jeb has good posts. i think that translates to 'poet'

he's also a utilitarian. so healer poet

groff_enthusiast
The original good boy.
Cardboard Robot

Post by groff_enthusiast » Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:03 pm

Strong classic "Let's Play" energy!
Ashenai wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 5:08 pmoh no

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:36 pm

thank you for putting in the effort to take and post all those screenshots
u gotta skate

Ashenai
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Ashenai » Sat Dec 11, 2021 1:56 am

Rylinks and Umer work on repairing the tower, while Ashenai makes his way back to the village to pick up the fourth member of our party.
Spoiler!

It's Jeb en-Khao, another Mystic! Personality-wise, he is a Compassionate Intellectual (Bookish and Healer are his top two traits).

Spoiler!
I want to make him distinct from Rylinks, who got a "pure mage" kind of specialization, so for Jeb I choose Indignance, a power better suited for a spellsword type of character, or so I hope.

Spoiler!
We scout a new tile. This one is Infested, meaning it's dangerous, with monsters roaming around. You can choose to Assault their stronghold or spend some time Patrolling; the latter reduces the strength of the monsters in the stronghold, but takes time, which means more Calamities.

We decide to spend a couple weeks patrolling, reducing the strength of the stronghold from 5 to 4, then go for it.

Spoiler!

It's a shrine, right? I'm sure whoever it belongs to won't mind if we use it to honor Jeb's dead.

Spoiler!

Neat. I guess we're okay?
Anyway, it's time to assault the infested stronghold.

Spoiler!
This fight is very one-sided in our favor, and it's all about the mages. Jeb rips a discus of stone from the base of this dead tree and mangles two of the beasts with it...

Spoiler!
...then Rylinks interfuses with a rack of knives and sends whirling doom at the survivors. All that's left for Khaos and me is mop-up.

Spoiler!
Our loot is a vial of poison, which I give to Khaos to use in his off-hand. He can't use it with his bow (because it's two-handed), but he's a pretty good backstabber with that dagger, and poisoning it can't hurt. (Switching weapons is a free action.)

Spoiler!
Our enemies grow more fearsome as well, though.

Ashenai
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Ashenai » Sat Dec 11, 2021 2:38 am

Things keep moving along well. We explore and clear more of the map. And then, one fateful day:

Spoiler!

How curious! I didn't want us to lose the trail, so Jeb and Khaos go after the beast.

Spoiler!

Its glowing tracks fade in the night, though. Jeb investigates before one of them fades completely:

Spoiler!

Before each fight, we are shown the Foe cards, that is, what we're going to fight.
Spoiler!

This is gonna be rough, even without the unknown reinforcement coming on Turn 3.

Spoiler!

This fight has an extra objective, which is to catch the Fire Spirit within 4 turns, before it disappears.

Unfortunately, we really can't afford to do that. The Gheist and Bogmoor hit very hard, and before long...

Spoiler!
When a character goes to 0 HP, you can choose to let them die (and get some sort of bonus for the battle) or you can let them be Maimed. I choose the latter, which can only be done once per chapter; if Ashenai goes to 0 HP again at any point in the chapter, he's dead for good.

We do win the battle, and I even get to upgrade my Thundering Challenge to be AOE...
Spoiler!

But it nearly cost me my life. We also failed to catch the Fire Spirit. I wonder what secrets we might have learned from it? Perhaps a treasure?
Spoiler!

Jeb plants the mysterious seed. Perhaps some good will come of it yet.

Spoiler!

Maimed characters automatically hobble back to the nearest friendly town, where they have to spend a good deal of time recuperating.

Spoiler!

The others start building a bridge while they wait for Ashenai to recover. (We need a bridge to get across the river to Flaxencherry Dam, which is the chapter objective.) But time is shorter than we think...

Spoiler!

It's an Incursion, a massive tide of monsters sweeping across the land. We have to scramble and see where we can build defenses to make our stand. Fighting them head-on is suicide. (The battle that maimed Ashenai was a strength 5 battle, meaning 5 monster cards. This Incursion is Strength 13.)

Well, but at least Ashenai's back!

Most of him!

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Sat Dec 11, 2021 4:31 am

it amuses me how most of the time they're making their personality face
ashenai always like >:|
rylinks always like :J
u gotta skate

Ashenai
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Ashenai » Sat Dec 11, 2021 7:47 pm

The incursion begins!
Spoiler!
The forces of corruption will keep destroying everything in their path, but every time they destroy a tile, they grow weaker. The trick is figuring out where we can stop them.

But first, there's something for us to do here, in Orvirusa Air-Engine (what is with that name?) Rylinks has vanished!
Spoiler!

Peddler Man, Peddler Man, does whatever a peddler can

Spoiler!

We go investigate the improbably named village, and find out what happened to Rylinks:

Spoiler!

He's been captured as a human sacrifice, and is very umimpressed about it. Still, we should probably do something.

Spoiler!

Let's do this the hard way. And by that, I mean talking.

Spoiler!

They explain that the Great One is some kind of cosmic monster that demands sacrifices, or the villagers' lives are forfeit. We decide to help out.

Rylinks looking on the bright side, as usual.

Nah, let's do this. How hard can it be?

Turns out, very. Thrixls are a new type of monster we haven't met yet, and they have a variety of very annoying psionic powers, including the ability to interfuse.

I get hit with a stasis attack that freezes me in place. Then Khaos falls in battle:

Spoiler!

I like that the stasis apparently doesn't affect my ability to be mean to Khaos.

Things look grim, but Rylinks manages to dispel the stasis and we beat the Great One and his monster pals with some lucky rolls. Barely.

Camaraderie!

Spoiler!

Grateful villagers!

Spoiler!

Which is all well and good, but the incursion is progressing. We reach Goodflank as the monsters are still tearing apart Zigdyr Tower. We'll see if we can make a stand here, in Khaos's hometown.
Spoiler!

Rylinks
her skirt got quite a lot smaller,
but her heart is still the same
size it was before
Forum Elf

Post by Rylinks » Sat Dec 11, 2021 8:10 pm

your welcome villagers now please help us out with a massed charged against the incursion

Khaos
Forum Elf

Post by Khaos » Mon Dec 13, 2021 5:29 pm

you can't hold it against me no take backsies

Khaos
Forum Elf

Post by Khaos » Fri Dec 17, 2021 4:28 pm

bump