I thought nobody liked these

Post Reply
User avatar
Doug
Forum Elf
Forum Elf
Posts: 10048
Joined: Aug 23, 2018

I thought nobody liked these

Post by Doug » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:22 pm

Is this an expert-level set
It's your turn in Cthulhu Wars
It's your turn in Squirrel Wars
It's your turn in Demon Wars
It's your turn in Wall Street Wars

http://devilsbiscuit.com/

User avatar
Juri
We're Knights of the Round Table
We attack each turn if able
Typewriter Monkey
Posts: 8141
Joined: Aug 23, 2018

Re: I thought nobody liked these

Post by Juri » Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:58 pm

Eye like these.
Image

User avatar
seathesee
not an expert
Posting Automaton
Posts: 3171
Joined: Aug 23, 2018

Re: I thought nobody liked these

Post by seathesee » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:33 pm

mea two.
happy birthday! im sorry for your loss. congratulations on the good thing that happened to you!

User avatar
Doug
Forum Elf
Forum Elf
Posts: 10048
Joined: Aug 23, 2018

Re: I thought nobody liked these

Post by Doug » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:50 pm

Well thank God they have black borders at least lol
It's your turn in Cthulhu Wars
It's your turn in Squirrel Wars
It's your turn in Demon Wars
It's your turn in Wall Street Wars

http://devilsbiscuit.com/

User avatar
KingRamz
We are not amused.
Cardboard Robot
Posts: 998
Joined: Aug 22, 2018

Re: I thought nobody liked these

Post by KingRamz » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:23 pm

I remember when they released Tenth Edition and it had black borders, that was like mindblowing

User avatar
KingRamz
We are not amused.
Cardboard Robot
Posts: 998
Joined: Aug 22, 2018

Re: I thought nobody liked these

Post by KingRamz » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:25 pm

You'd think it wouldn't have taken so long to come up with "maybe we should do things that make our cards look great instead of bad" but yeah

User avatar
seathesee
not an expert
Posting Automaton
Posts: 3171
Joined: Aug 23, 2018

Re: I thought nobody liked these

Post by seathesee » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:46 pm

i had the same experience wrt edition 10.

that said, the lesson ive since taken from the whole white borders going away thing is how much i will start to like something, or place value on it, when it is unusual, unique, discontinued, or not the standard anymore. i have an affinity for white bordered cards now, and specifically revised lands are my basic of choice.

i dont think im alone! before my lgs folded, they started selling white bordered lands for 50 cents to a dollar ( i assume because there was some sort of demand for them, but maybe not? they did go out of business after all). also at my lgs, there was a guy with a legacy dredge deck who had erased all the borders, so all the cards in the deck (many of which were never printed in white border) were all white border. it looked really cool! i was a little envious of it. if i felt more comfortable making permanent changes to my own cards, i could see myself doing that and enjoying it.
happy birthday! im sorry for your loss. congratulations on the good thing that happened to you!

User avatar
Still Alive
Cardboard Rima
Cardboard Robot
Posts: 1616
Joined: Nov 13, 2019

Re: I thought nobody liked these

Post by Still Alive » Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:21 pm

KingRamz wrote:You'd think it wouldn't have taken so long to come up with "maybe we should do things that make our cards look great instead of bad" but yeah
seems like theyve been actively pursuing the opposite of that since they changed the frames, black bordered core sets or not

User avatar
catonkeyboard
And the worst possible news was waiting for me...
Cardboard Robot
Posts: 1473
Joined: Aug 27, 2018

Re: I thought nobody liked these

Post by catonkeyboard » Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:08 am

seathesee wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:46 pm
i had the same experience wrt edition 10.

that said, the lesson ive since taken from the whole white borders going away thing is how much i will start to like something, or place value on it, when it is unusual, unique, discontinued, or not the standard anymore. i have an affinity for white bordered cards now, and specifically revised lands are my basic of choice.

i dont think im alone! before my lgs folded, they started selling white bordered lands for 50 cents to a dollar ( i assume because there was some sort of demand for them, but maybe not? they did go out of business after all). also at my lgs, there was a guy with a legacy dredge deck who had erased all the borders, so all the cards in the deck (many of which were never printed in white border) were all white border. it looked really cool! i was a little envious of it. if i felt more comfortable making permanent changes to my own cards, i could see myself doing that and enjoying it.
Affinity for white bordered cards shouldn’t have counted the basic lands, that was just busted
27/50 states of cats on keyboards
|X,,,,X,,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,,,,X,,X,X,X,X,X,,,,X,,X,,X,,,X,,X,X,X,,X,,X,X,,,,,X,|

User avatar
drk
Birds are wild
Candy is dandy
Posts: 1926
Joined: Aug 23, 2018

Re: I thought nobody liked these

Post by drk » Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:16 am

8th edition basics are best lands to troll established players with.

User avatar
drk
Birds are wild
Candy is dandy
Posts: 1926
Joined: Aug 23, 2018

Re: I thought nobody liked these

Post by drk » Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:17 am

KingRamz wrote:I remember when they released Tenth Edition and it had black borders, that was like mindblowing
The only time I have ever actively wanted foils was 7/8/9th editions when they were black bordered.

User avatar
Jeb Bush 2012
Adding Machine
Adding Machine
Posts: 68
Joined: Jun 24, 2020

Re: I thought nobody liked these

Post by Jeb Bush 2012 » Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:29 am

is it controversial to say that foils look like ass

User avatar
Doug
Forum Elf
Forum Elf
Posts: 10048
Joined: Aug 23, 2018

Re: I thought nobody liked these

Post by Doug » Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:53 am

It is known
It's your turn in Cthulhu Wars
It's your turn in Squirrel Wars
It's your turn in Demon Wars
It's your turn in Wall Street Wars

http://devilsbiscuit.com/

User avatar
drk
Birds are wild
Candy is dandy
Posts: 1926
Joined: Aug 23, 2018

Re: I thought nobody liked these

Post by drk » Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:00 am

Jeb Bush 2012 wrote:is it controversial to say that foils look like ass
Nah. Foil cards aren't (usually) three times as expensive as regular versions despite being a third as plentiful.

User avatar
Juri
We're Knights of the Round Table
We attack each turn if able
Typewriter Monkey
Posts: 8141
Joined: Aug 23, 2018

Re: I thought nobody liked these

Post by Juri » Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:34 am

I always enjoyed the mechanical + aesthetic combo of white-bordered blood moon
A truly affronting permanent
Image

User avatar
Ashenai
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton
Posts: 2852
Joined: May 29, 2019

Re: I thought nobody liked these

Post by Ashenai » Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:34 pm

drk wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:00 am
Jeb Bush 2012 wrote:is it controversial to say that foils look like ass
Nah. Foil cards aren't (usually) three times as expensive as regular versions despite being a third as plentiful.
That's normal, demand curves aren't linear. Halving the supply of something raises the price but generally doesn't double it, for a variety of reasons.

User avatar
Ashenai
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton
Posts: 2852
Joined: May 29, 2019

Re: I thought nobody liked these

Post by Ashenai » Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:37 pm

(This is also why wizards prints lots and lots of boosters and sells them for $4 each instead of printing a tenth as many and selling them for $40.)

Post Reply