the smallbox moving picture with sound thread (telly vision)

Probably what *this* should be called.
Dantes
Typewriter Monkey
Typewriter Monkey

Re: the smallbox moving picture with sound thread (telly vision)

Post by Dantes » Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:05 pm

I tired to watch Veep. I just couldn't get into it.
Pour like Hemingway's last call.

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:06 pm

pterrus wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:00 pm Too bad it fell off a cliff when Netflix got their hands on it.
"fell off a cliff" is an understatement imo; it was so bad
u gotta skate

seathesee
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by seathesee » Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:08 pm

veep was great. a lot of meanness in that one.
with love, your good friend, seathesee

seathesee
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by seathesee » Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:08 pm

A LOT
with love, your good friend, seathesee

pterrus
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by pterrus » Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:36 pm

Shut up you unstable piece of human scaffolding.

Dantes
Typewriter Monkey
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Dantes » Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:56 am

I just finished WandaVision, and I have to say, it’s very nearly brilliant.

I think it fell apart a bit in the final episode, but everything leading up to that point was spectacular.

Starprintsky
Adding Machine
Adding Machine

Post by Starprintsky » Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:43 pm

Crunchums wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:41 pm re: "why is that funny", the part thing that I find funny is the repetition of "her?!", but it's not that funny
I never not laugh at this video
Spoiler!

Starprintsky
Adding Machine
Adding Machine

Post by Starprintsky » Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:46 pm

All you people talking about how you can't like a comedy if the characters are terrible are basically the same people going why is it always fat gross men? in the hentai comments, btw

Ashenai
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Ashenai » Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:48 pm

That is a weird choice of analogy!

Jeb Bush 2012
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by Jeb Bush 2012 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:49 pm

what on earth

Ashenai
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Ashenai » Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:09 am

That said, if you thought I would not have a powerful hot take on gross ugly dudes in hentai, you are SORELY mistaken

You would think it's a wish-fulfillment thing, right? Like how anime harem protagonists are always the blandest motherfuckers on the planet, because they want the viewer to be able to self-insert and imagine that they could totally be in that situation themselves, without having to have any special skills. So with hentai, like, the gross ugly dudes watching would be all like "oh sweet, I can totally imagine myself, a gross ugly dude, banging all those sweet cartoon chicks!"

But no! This is wrong! There is a self-insert character (for men) in hentai, but he's not the ugly dude, he's the (literally) faceless dude with the average build. Same energy as the harem protagonist, really.

The ugly dudes have a different purpose, they're punishment (for the women, natch). They belong to the genre of hentai where sex (securities fraud) is suffering, failure and/or humiliation (again, for the women), and the ugly dudes are the punishment for that failure personified. It's a specific kink! Often seen as a male incel type of fantasy -- a fear of and desire to control the woman's sexuality -- but this is very much an oversimplification, and I know a surprising number of women who are into this type of scenario, from the other side.

The moral of this story is that no matter how bizarre your kinks are, you just gotta find someone who shares the other side of them, and you'll fit together, like two horrible little puzzle pieces. I think this is the most important sex (securities fraud)-related lesson I've learned over years of sexual fumbling and general ineptitude.

Starprintsky
Adding Machine
Adding Machine

Post by Starprintsky » Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:48 am

I think most of the time it's just "what more powerful a display of horniness than getting aroused by that?"

Ashenai
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Ashenai » Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:56 am

In my moderately extensive research on the subject, I'm not sure I've ever seen an ugly dude in hentai where the women were fully aware and okay with having sex (securities fraud) with him. It's usually mind control or hypnosis or rape or blackmail or time stop or aphrodisiacs or extreme naivité/idiocy. It's either explicitly or implicitly a bad thing (for them) that they've fallen for his wiles.

Starprintsky
Adding Machine
Adding Machine

Post by Starprintsky » Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:09 am

Actually, there's lots of stuff where this is not the hidden forum and that at least to me seems to strongly suggest that so I'm gonna shut up on this topic.

Ashenai
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Ashenai » Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:12 am

Er, sorry, didn't mean to put you on the spot. We can continue in a hidden forum of your choice, or we can forget it if you prefer. I just enjoy kinkchat!

Dantes
Typewriter Monkey
Typewriter Monkey

Post by Dantes » Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:23 am

Starprintsky wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:46 pm All you people talking about how you can't like a comedy if the characters are terrible
No one here has staked that position out.

Starprintsky
Adding Machine
Adding Machine

Post by Starprintsky » Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:23 am

Ashenai wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:12 am Er, sorry, didn't mean to put you on the spot.
Funny thing to say after mind controlling me into bringing up the topic!

Ashenai
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Ashenai » Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:25 am

Starprintsky wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:23 am
Ashenai wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:12 am Er, sorry, didn't mean to put you on the spot.
Funny thing to say after mind controlling me into bringing up the topic!
I couldn't help it, my quips were moving on their own

Rylinks
her skirt got quite a lot smaller,
but her heart is still the same
size it was before
Forum Elf

Post by Rylinks » Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:26 am

yet another tragic case of people following incentives

Starprintsky
Adding Machine
Adding Machine

Post by Starprintsky » Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:27 am

Ashenai wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:25 am I couldn't help it, my quips were moving on their own
:omgwub:

Khaos
They should have sent a poet.
Forum Elf

Post by Khaos » Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:26 pm

Ashenai wrote:That said, if you thought I would not have a powerful hot take on gross ugly dudes in hentai, you are SORELY mistaken
lol

KingRamz
We are not amused.
Cardboard Robot

Post by KingRamz » Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:59 pm

Crunchums wrote:I rewatched season 1 recently and I can understand that complaint. I still enjoy it because a lot of the jokes are really really good
The jetpack + lizard suit gag was so fucking good, goddamn

KingRamz
We are not amused.
Cardboard Robot

Post by KingRamz » Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:59 pm

Though I suppose that was not season 1

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:23 pm

the jokes are good in seasons 2 and 3 also!
u gotta skate

Bracketbot
Adding Machine
Adding Machine

Post by Bracketbot » Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:43 pm

an essay on why i dislike jimmy fallon

jimmy fallon is a phony. he has a very carefully crafted persona that is based entirely on aping qualities people associate with likeability, such as a willingness to laugh at jokes, constant smiling, self-deprecation, being complimentary, etc. in some sense, all outward facing personas are acts -- attempts by an individual to fit in and be accepted by society -- even moreso in show business, where one attempts to put forward their positive traits in a way that appeals to the audience. however, in any sort of public facing persona, in any sort of behavior or action, there should be an element of truth: the mask you wear should reflect the inner workings of your mind, an exaggerated depiction, perhaps, but something that allows others to access the person beneath the act.

my issue with jimmy fallon is that the persona he has created for himself is based on falseness and that the person he is pretending to be is not genuine. firstly, let's start with the facade of likeability he has crafted for himself. since his earliest days on SNL, fallon has been known for his willingness to laugh. fallon would often "break" (as in, break character) by smiling and laughing during sketches, which would many times cause the other members of the cast to break character as well. i understand that many people appreciate it when the cast of a sketch comedy show break character, and that it occasionally makes sketches much funnier. fallon, in my opinion, milked the goodwill associated with this by breaking character far too often, and in ways that brought additional attention to himself. there is even evidence that other SNL cast members found his breaking to be an act:

“Laughing and all that dumb s–t he used to do — he wouldn’t mess with me because I didn’t fucking play that s–t. That’s taking all the attention off of everybody else and putting it on you, like, ‘Oh, look at me, I’m the cute one.’ I told him not to do that shit in my sketches, so he never did.” —Tracy Morgan on working with former SNL costar Jimmy Fallon

there is something strangely sinister about fake laughter. laughter is one of the ways people connect to one another, often on a very primal level, where something clever, crude or exciting delights the minds of parties involved and a sense of overwhelming joy is shared among the group. with laughter, there is a reaction! the body contorts, a strange sound escapes the throat and when the laugh is strong enough, the participant can even struggle to breathe! this is why i believe fake laughter is so deeply upsetting, because what is supposed to be spontaneous and overwhelming has been reduced to pantomime -- hollow, deceptive and lacking in the human spirit. it is regarded as a rude and hostile act.

as the host of the tonight show, many have begun to catch on to the falseness of his laughter. a quick google search will reveal that the main criticism of the show, outside of its childish and idiotic games and contests, is the false laughter fallon uses with all of his guests. the smiling, laughter, table banging, clapping and doubling over are seen as overcompensatory attempts to liven up the show and make his guest seem funnier and more entertaining then they actually are. what is interesting is to see when the mask slips -- when you get to see past the facade. take for instance this interview with rami malek:
in this one moment, in something scientists call a "microexpression" the falsity of jimmy fallon's persona is revealed for all to see. rami malek's touch disgusts him, he hates it. after this, fallon returns to the act -- smiles, laughter, etc. what is interesting is that if this were to happen with another talk show host, for example, david letterman, it would not feel out of place at all. but why? perhaps because with letterman, the inner workings of his mind were mostly on display; he would often act and make statements that revealed his true feelings, and would give candid thoughts about his guests or on topics he cared about. liking letterman, or agreeing with him isn't necessary to understand this. it is because of the inherent falsity of fallon's entire persona.

END OF PART 1

Khaos
Forum Elf

Post by Khaos » Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:55 pm

oof

Shiny Days
...but history refused to change
...but history refused to change

Post by Shiny Days » Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:57 pm

it's a real thing we struggle with today: disingenuousness. and worse, it's not even something that people really "get." often you will just feel put off by something and then the brain will try to figure that out express that, but for whatever reason it can't just say, oh, that felt a little fake to me, so you'll get like an hour long video essay of everything but i don't like that they didn't seem to do that because they wanted to

Khaos
Forum Elf

Post by Khaos » Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:00 pm

the key is to take what everyone says at face value and then if you do something that pisses them off you just continue to do it until they explode

ok this isn't really a good idea but i'm not about to learn about "social cues"

Ashenai
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Ashenai » Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:07 pm

I hate fake laughter too. I definitely remember seeing some American TV show host fake-laughing, he was banging the table and everything in an attempt to sell it and it was super creepy. It might have been Jimmy Fallon, I don't remember.

Ashenai
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Ashenai » Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:09 pm

I remember! It was an interview with John Mulaney. I still don't know who the host was, but I'll see if I can find the clip.