Post by Crunchums » Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:18 pm

well played :lol:
u gotta skate

pterrus
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Re: slatestarcodex

Post by pterrus » Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:14 am

Okay that's good. Maybe he doesn't suck as bad as he thinks he does.

Jeb Bush 2012
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by Jeb Bush 2012 » Tue Feb 08, 2022 5:04 am

I'm not a big fan but I thought this was quite good https://astralcodexten.substack.com/p/bounded-distrust

pterrus
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by pterrus » Tue Mar 08, 2022 1:34 pm

Okay I had read this before, but thanks to Scott for reminding me of it because it's so good:
Zaporozhian Cossacks to the Turkish Sultan!

O sultan, Turkish devil and damned devil's kith and kin, secretary to Lucifer himself. What the devil kind of knight are thou, that canst not slay a hedgehog with your naked arse? The devil shits, and your army eats. Thou shalt not, thou son of a whore, make subjects of Christian sons. We have no fear of your army; by land and by sea we will battle with thee. Fuck thy mother.

Thou Babylonian scullion, Macedonian wheelwright, brewer of Jerusalem, goat-fucker of Alexandria, swineherd of Greater and Lesser Egypt, pig of Armenia, Podolian thief, catamite of Tartary, hangman of Kamyanets, and fool of all the world and underworld, an idiot before God, grandson of the Serpent, and the crick in our dick. Pig's snout, mare's arse, slaughterhouse cur, unchristened brow. Screw thine own mother!

So the Zaporozhians declare, you lowlife. You won't even be herding pigs for the Christians. Now we'll conclude, for we don't know the date and don't own a calendar; the moon's in the sky, the year with the Lord. The day's the same over here as it is over there; for this kiss our arse!

— Koshovyi otaman Ivan Sirko, with the whole Zaporozhian Host

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Sat Apr 23, 2022 4:12 am

u gotta skate

Jeb Bush 2012
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by Jeb Bush 2012 » Sat Apr 23, 2022 4:27 am

this is one of the worst things I've ever seen. there's no level of irony that can salvage a chad elon musk meme

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Fri May 13, 2022 4:45 am

https://www.deepmind.com/publications/a ... list-agent
Abstract wrote:Inspired by progress in large-scale language modelling, we apply a similar approach towards building a single generalist agent beyond the realm of text outputs. The agent, which we refer to as Gato, works as a multi-modal, multi-task, multi-embodiment generalist policy. The same network with the same weights can play Atari, caption images, chat, stack blocks with a real robot arm and much more, deciding based on its context whether to output text, joint torques, button presses, or other tokens. In this report we describe the model and the data, and document the current capabilities of Gato.
and that's the tea
u gotta skate

rianalnn
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by rianalnn » Fri May 13, 2022 12:48 pm

pack your bags humanity

Subject: crippled masters

Bring on the kung-fu amputees - no arms vs. no legs anyone? A bit of high-speed underground ninja-tunneling is always good as well. I wanna see some shit like that. Crazy monks with gnarly special powers can make any film good. FACT.

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Tue May 17, 2022 2:14 am

https://liminalwarmth.com/why-women-lea ... left-tech/
i wonder how the same dynamics play out in fields other than tech, like what is the critical ingredient for it being so much worse in tech than in other fields. my guess would be the gender imbalance?
u gotta skate

Luna
...but history refused to change

Post by Luna » Tue May 17, 2022 2:29 am

And many women ARE very nice because women are socially conditioned to be very nice
has this person never interacted with a woman before

pterrus
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by pterrus » Tue May 17, 2022 2:37 am

Luna wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 2:29 am
And many women ARE very nice because women are socially conditioned to be very nice
Have you ever been to a day care, arti? It's basically impossible to walk out of there sad, all the women are nice as hell. And it doesn't even look like an act, they just do it naturally!

Luna

Post by Luna » Tue May 17, 2022 2:39 am

pterrus wrote: Have you ever been to a day care, arti? It's basically impossible to walk out of there sad, all the women are nice as hell. And it doesn't even look like an act, they just do it naturally!
that is crazy since all our jobs are determined by a lottery. i'm still bitter that i got lifting heavy boxes, but it might have been for the best considering how little exercise i get otherwise

pterrus
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by pterrus » Tue May 17, 2022 2:42 am

Luna wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 2:39 am
pterrus wrote: Have you ever been to a day care, arti? It's basically impossible to walk out of there sad, all the women are nice as hell. And it doesn't even look like an act, they just do it naturally!
that is crazy since all our jobs are determined by a lottery. i'm still bitter that i got lifting heavy boxes, but it might have been for the best considering how little exercise i get otherwise
Okay if it's selection bias, where are all the mean women at, the real nasty bitches. Don't say congress

seathesee
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by seathesee » Tue May 17, 2022 2:43 am

pterrus wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 2:37 am
Luna wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 2:29 am
Have you ever been to a day care, arti? It's basically impossible to walk out of there sad, all the women are nice as hell. And it doesn't even look like an act, they just do it naturally!
youre their client.

not saying i disagree with the position youre arguing and line arti guffawed at.
with love, your good friend, seathesee

pterrus
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by pterrus » Tue May 17, 2022 2:43 am

Oh wait I know this one they're supposed to be at convents

pterrus
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by pterrus » Tue May 17, 2022 2:46 am

Are they even making new nuns anymore, are those an endangered species? I haven't thought about nuns in a long fuckin time.

Luna

Post by Luna » Tue May 17, 2022 2:51 am

pterrus wrote: Okay if it's selection bias, where are all the mean women at, the real nasty bitches. Don't say congress
you remember that blizzard story? some people wildly actually came to the defense of blizzard, or more specifically their male coworkers, instead single-ing out another gender that had you know, rather cut throatly, spread lies, backstabbed, manipulated, feigned friendship etc., and just generally made their lives really fuckin' miserable, in a psychological sort of way you know? way past terrible experience for them, especially the people that didn't quit outright

but you know anecdotal, so whatever, and we're just confirming our own biases with what we gather anyway, right?

Jeb Bush 2012
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by Jeb Bush 2012 » Tue May 17, 2022 2:53 am

pterrus wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 2:46 am Are they even making new nuns anymore, are those an endangered species? I haven't thought about nuns in a long fuckin time.
yes on the first, probably yes on the second

Luna

Post by Luna » Tue May 17, 2022 2:53 am

i'm not trying to discourage link posting or whatever, and it's good to have all sides, but this is an uncreative name post:
Primarily the people who DO have that time are the women who are experiencing it and mad about it and trying to figure out what the fuck is going on when suddenly no one likes them anymore and things are so much harder than when they started their career
i guess you can't say a person is crazy for lacking self awareness, but at what point do you stop and piece this together

pterrus
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by pterrus » Tue May 17, 2022 10:16 am

I mean yeah all I'm ever going to have is anecdotes and I can't comment on the causation trail she lays out in her post, but "women are socially conditioned to be nice" seems kind of obviously true. Maybe there's a bit of a class component to that, but it certainly seems like it holds for the kind of women who get into tech.

Luna

Post by Luna » Tue May 17, 2022 11:04 am

pterrus wrote:I mean yeah all I'm ever going to have is anecdotes and I can't comment on the causation trail she lays out in her post, but "women are socially conditioned to be nice" seems kind of obviously true. Maybe there's a bit of a class component to that, but it certainly seems like it holds for the kind of women who get into tech.
who's socially conditioned to be an asshole

pterrus
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by pterrus » Tue May 17, 2022 12:38 pm

Luna wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 11:04 am
pterrus wrote:I mean yeah all I'm ever going to have is anecdotes and I can't comment on the causation trail she lays out in her post, but "women are socially conditioned to be nice" seems kind of obviously true. Maybe there's a bit of a class component to that, but it certainly seems like it holds for the kind of women who get into tech.
who's socially conditioned to be an asshole
Wait are you switching positions? I thought you were the one saying it wasn't true that women were conditioned to be nice and I was the one asking where all the nasty bitches were.

Luna

Post by Luna » Tue May 17, 2022 12:59 pm

pterrus wrote: Wait are you switching positions? I thought you were the one saying it wasn't true that women were conditioned to be nice and I was the one asking where all the nasty bitches were.
i was saying this crazy person probably hasn't interacted with any woman if their take away from said interactions is wow, woman sure are nice, and only nice, because they're told to be, and for no other reason. this is like, quite the thing to unpack, really.

and, like, ok, maybe they just never interacted with any crazy woman at work, and so this is a fair take away. and they've never heard any stories. or seen, like, anything starring teenage girls. or maybe they weren't a teenage girl themself, or, fuck, man, maybe this person has just been fluking out super hard and this is all a mystery to her. i guess it is in a way

pterrus
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by pterrus » Tue May 17, 2022 1:24 pm

Yeah that's the thing about tech people, we never have to deal with the crazy women in the general population, it's great.

My day is, I go to day care and say hi to the nice women, then go home and hop onto a zoom meeting where all the women are nice. And obviously I didn't marry a mean woman, who does that. So mean women are kind of theoretical to me. I have vague memories of crazy and mean women from back when I used to work retail but I have successfully bubbled myself off from that whole class as I think a lot of tech people have.

pterrus
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by pterrus » Tue May 17, 2022 1:28 pm

Re: Mean Girls, like in the high school sense, I read something somewhere that the whole cliques thing is dated and the dynamic doesn't really work that way anymore. I will consult my young cousin to get the facts on the ground next time I see her. She seems nice fwiw!

Ashenai
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Ashenai » Tue May 17, 2022 1:31 pm

Maybe this is once again a cultural thing, but I haven't found women to be any more or less nice than men, on average. Women (in most of Europe) are generally less aggressive and more polite than men, which I would assume is partly social conditioning and partly having less testosterone. But as far as niceness (altruism, looking out for others) goes, I haven't noticed gender to be relevant. Both men and women have a wide range of behaviors, from very nice to total assholes.

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Tue May 17, 2022 1:37 pm

i think "less aggressive and more polite" is largely what the author means by "nice"
u gotta skate

Ashenai
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Ashenai » Tue May 17, 2022 1:38 pm

The author seems to be using a fuzzy definition of "nice" that's a combination of "polite", "kind", and "warm". You can be any of those three without being the other two, though.

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Tue May 17, 2022 1:42 pm

doesn't seem any fuzzier than the actual definition
(of a person) pleasant in manner; good-natured; kind.
"he's a really nice guy"
u gotta skate

Ashenai
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Ashenai » Tue May 17, 2022 1:43 pm

I'm not saying the definition is incorrect, I'm saying it's hard to talk about whether women are "nicer" than men because niceness has a lot of separate components!