Doug's Fiendish Trick Trivia Questions

Probably what *this* should be called.
groff_enthusiast
The original good boy.
Cardboard Robot

Re: Doug's Fiendish Trick Trivia Questions

Post by groff_enthusiast » Sat Apr 09, 2022 4:42 pm

Crunchums wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 4:47 pm in chess, is it possible to reach the starting position except it's black's move instead of white?
Spoiler!
no

if a pawn moves forward it's then impossible for its starting square to ever be occupied by a pawn of that color. so pawns can't move
knights can move, and then that lets the rooks move. but knights always move from a light square to a dark square or vice versa, and rooks can only move back and forth between their starting square and their adjacent knight's starting square, which means that any sequence of knight/rook moves that ends with the pieces both back on their starting squares will be an even number of moves. but in order to reach the starting position where it's black's move you would need black to make an odd number of moves that results in all of black's pieces being back in their starting position
That's really interesting
Spoiler!
More interesting than the puzzle is that I understood the puzzle slightly differently from you. I never considered that the horses "different" units, i.e.: they could finish "swapped" in position (king side becomes queen side). Maybe because I think of the conclusion as visual (i.e.: an observer would see the board as natural, as they had no way of knowing which horse was which).

Haha, I also assumed the entire board would have to flip, which is stupid and trivially false.

So I guess this has a more interesting answer. Yes, but only if you see the horses as interchangable.
Ashenai wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 5:08 pmoh no

Ashenai
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Ashenai » Sat Apr 09, 2022 7:46 pm

Spoiler!
If the horses are interchangeable the answer is still no. (Both horses would need to make an odd number of moves to exchange their positions, which still ends up being an even number of moves overall, because 2 odd numbers add up to an even number.)

Blissful
"I don’t believe that we will lose life or have to discard cards ourselves."
Sentient Keyboard

Post by Blissful » Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:45 am

each horse is a unique being whom i treasure in my heart

Doug
Has anybody seen my parrot
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Sun Apr 10, 2022 6:14 pm

That was a nice puzzle
It's your turn in Cthulhu Wars
It's your turn in Squirrel Wars
It's your turn in Demon Wars
It's your turn in Wall Street Wars

http://devilsbiscuit.com/

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Mon Apr 11, 2022 4:05 am

Spoiler!
i totally did not even consider that case; it's a good thing that the answer is still the same even if you do 😅
u gotta skate

Doug
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Fri Nov 25, 2022 12:00 am

What is the last date in November that Thanksgiving can be

s. goblin
Cardboard Robot
Cardboard Robot

Post by s. goblin » Fri Nov 25, 2022 4:20 am

Doug wrote:What is the last date in November that Thanksgiving can be
uh

...now?

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Fri Nov 25, 2022 4:24 am

because it's the 4th thursday in november

naive thought would be worst case nov 1 is a thursday so best case is nov 1 is a friday -> first thursday is the 7th -> the answer would be the 28th
but given what thread we are in probably there is some twist
u gotta skate

Doug
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Fri Nov 25, 2022 2:31 pm

Oh, sorry, this one isn't a trick. It's indeed the 28th. It can never be the 29th, because if the 29th were a Thursday, Thanksgiving would have been the 22nd

Not a trick question, I just thought it was a neat question

s. goblin
Cardboard Robot
Cardboard Robot

Post by s. goblin » Fri Nov 25, 2022 2:33 pm

i think our thanksgiving is the second monday in october, so i just guessed that yours was the second to last thursday of the month, but i guess that kind of doesnt work

Doug
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Fri Nov 25, 2022 2:34 pm

s. goblin wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 2:33 pm i think our thanksgiving is the second monday in october, so i just guessed that yours was the second to last thursday of the month, but i guess that kind of doesnt work
Close, it's always the fourth Thursday, and sometimes there are five Thursdays

Doug
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Fri Nov 25, 2022 2:36 pm

And of course, how long is a metric inch
Spoiler!
25 millimeters
Does that count as a trick question?

Doug
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Fri Nov 25, 2022 2:38 pm

Perhaps the other one could be worded as "Why is November 29th banned from being Thanksgiving?" lol

Skeletor
How'd you know that loving kittens is my one defining trait?
Forum Elf

Post by Skeletor » Fri Nov 25, 2022 3:22 pm

Doug wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 2:31 pm Oh, sorry, this one isn't a trick. It's indeed the 28th. It can never be the 29th, because if the 29th were a Thursday, Thanksgiving would have been the 22nd

Not a trick question, I just thought it was a neat question
apparently it's the last wednesday somewhere
wow, [you]. that all sounds terrible. i hope it gets better for you

Khaos
They should have sent a poet.
Forum Elf

Post by Khaos » Fri Nov 25, 2022 6:41 pm

Doug wrote:And of course, how long is a metric inch
Spoiler!
25 millimeters
Does that count as a trick question?
no

but if you did it with GB it might be

Hyphen-ated
Adding Machine
Adding Machine

Re: Doug's Trick Trivia Questions

Post by Hyphen-ated » Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:51 am

Doug wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:18 pm Ground Control to Major Tom
Spoiler!
A Space Oddity
How do you figure that
Spoiler!
the title of this song is "A Space Oddity" and not "Space Oddity"? every source i find in a google search calls it Space Oddity
on this photo of the label of the record from 1969 it says "Space Oddity" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Odd ... Oddity.png

Doug
Forum Elf

Re: Doug's Trick Trivia Questions

Post by Doug » Mon Nov 28, 2022 6:19 pm

Hyphen-ated wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:51 am
Doug wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:18 pm Ground Control to Major Tom
Spoiler!
A Space Oddity
How do you figure that
Spoiler!
the title of this song is "A Space Oddity" and not "Space Oddity"? every source i find in a google search calls it Space Oddity
on this photo of the label of the record from 1969 it says "Space Oddity" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Odd ... Oddity.png
Oops lol

Doug
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Thu May 25, 2023 9:32 pm

The Midpoint Theory Game, Marvel Edition

Midpoint Theory is the idea that if you have a movie that has a huge revelation to make, something that changes the audience perception of the characters or events, putting this revelation at the midpoint of the movie can be a great place. Until I heard about this, I would have assumed that big revelations usually come at the end of the second act. But I was wrong. The end of the second act might be too late -- by that time, so much of the movie is over that the audience doesn't get to enjoy the new information, or the dialogue doesn't get to exist in that context.

Now this isn't a rule or anything. It's just a thing that directors and writers do sometimes. Here are some Marvel movies, not all of them but some, and the game is for you to guess what is happening at the midpoint of the film. And then the answer is there for you. In some of these, the middle of the movie is a big reveal. But then in others, it isn't so much.

I hope you find this game fun

Captain America: The First Avenger
Spoiler!
Steve frees the soldiers from the Hydra base, and then meets Red Skull for the first time, culminating in Red Skull removing his mask.
Iron Man
Spoiler!
Tony flies the suit for the first time.
Avengers
Spoiler!
The Avengers argue aboard the Helicarrier, egged on by Loki's staff, and then Hawkeye attacks.
Winter Soldier
Spoiler!
Armin Zola explains to Steve and Natasha that SHIELD is actually Hydra. They are then hit by a missile.
Guardians of the Galaxy
Spoiler!
The Collector shows the Guardians that the orb contains an infinity stone, and then his home is blown up.
Guardians 2
Spoiler!
Yondu slays the mutineers with his arrow and sets off to help the Guardians.
Ultron
Spoiler!
Ultron arrives in South Korea and begins building Vision. Meanwhile, Natasha explains to Bruce that she can't have children.
Civil War
Spoiler!
Sam and Steve have captured Bucky, who tells them that there are five more Winter Soldiers. Note that this reveal is a fake-out, because these five soldiers will be dead by the time Sam and Steve arrive, and the actual plot isn't revealed until act three. So this is actually an example of taking advantage of Midpoint Theory rather than of Midpoint Theory per se!
Black Panther
Spoiler!
Killmonger shows Klau that he's Wakandan, and kills him. Meanwhile, T'challa learns that his father killed his uncle and left his cousin (who becomes Killmonger) in the United States as a child.
Dr. Strange
Spoiler!
Stephen learns that there's a magical war and states that he doesn't want to fight in something like that, and immediately following this, Kaecilius attacks.
Ragnarok
Spoiler!
Thor awakens to find he is Hulk's roommate, and they have a funny argument about escaping vs. not escaping.
Infinity War
Spoiler!
Thanos reveals to Gamora that he knows she knows where the soul stone is, and he makes her tell him.
Endgame
Spoiler!
Thanos learns that there are two Nebulas, one from the future, and then he learns that in the future he wins and the Avengers kill him (not really upset about the being killed part either, TBH) but that they're trying to undo this.
Spider-Man Far from Home
Spoiler!
Mysterio gets Peter to give him the glasses, and then reveals to the audience that he doesn't actually have any powers at all and that it's all a con.
Spider-Man No Way Home
Spoiler!
Peter's spider-sense kicks in, and he realizes that Green Goblin never had any intention of being cured. A huge battle erupts.
Dr. Strange Multiverse of Madness
Spoiler!
Wong is forced to bring Wanda to Wundagore (that's a fun sentence to say), and she realizes it was built for the worship of someone like her (or possibly even herself).
Quantumania
Spoiler!
Scott meets Kang, who coerces him into retrieving the multiversal engine core.

Blissful
Sentient Keyboard

Post by Blissful » Fri May 26, 2023 11:17 am

Doug wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 2:31 pmNot a trick question
the ultimate trick

Doug
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Wed Jul 12, 2023 11:35 pm

"Shrimps" is a word for two completely different reasons.
Spoiler!
First, while "shrimp" is the plural for the food, "shrimps" is the plural for the derogatory "Those guys are a bunch of shrimps."
Spoiler!
Second, it's a verb. "When he goes shrimping, he shrimps off of Cape Cod."

Doug
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Wed Jul 12, 2023 11:41 pm

How do we know that Confucius never said thank you even one time in his life?
Spoiler!
He didn't speak English

s. goblin
Cardboard Robot
Cardboard Robot

Post by s. goblin » Wed Jul 12, 2023 11:56 pm

Doug wrote:How do we know that Confucius never said thank you even one time in his life?
eyes narrowing

Blissful
Sentient Keyboard

Post by Blissful » Thu Jul 13, 2023 1:54 pm

Doug wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 11:41 pm How do we know that Confucius never said thank you even one time in his life?
Spoiler!
He didn't speak English
hehe

Hyphen-ated
Adding Machine
Adding Machine

Post by Hyphen-ated » Fri Jul 14, 2023 4:52 am

Doug wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 11:41 pm How do we know that Confucius never said thank you even one time in his life?
Spoiler!
He didn't speak English
Spoiler!
what if one day when he sneezed it coincidentally sounded exactly like the english words "thank you". we don't know that never happened

groff_enthusiast
The original good boy.
Cardboard Robot

Post by groff_enthusiast » Sat Jul 15, 2023 1:22 am

Doug wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 9:32 pm The Midpoint Theory Game, Marvel Edition

Midpoint Theory is the idea that if you have a movie that has a huge revelation to make, something that changes the audience perception of the characters or events, putting this revelation at the midpoint of the movie can be a great place. Until I heard about this, I would have assumed that big revelations usually come at the end of the second act. But I was wrong. The end of the second act might be too late -- by that time, so much of the movie is over that the audience doesn't get to enjoy the new information, or the dialogue doesn't get to exist in that context.

Now this isn't a rule or anything. It's just a thing that directors and writers do sometimes. Here are some Marvel movies, not all of them but some, and the game is for you to guess what is happening at the midpoint of the film. And then the answer is there for you. In some of these, the middle of the movie is a big reveal. But then in others, it isn't so much.

I hope you find this game fun

Captain America: The First Avenger
Spoiler!
Steve frees the soldiers from the Hydra base, and then meets Red Skull for the first time, culminating in Red Skull removing his mask.
Iron Man
Spoiler!
Tony flies the suit for the first time.
Avengers
Spoiler!
The Avengers argue aboard the Helicarrier, egged on by Loki's staff, and then Hawkeye attacks.
Winter Soldier
Spoiler!
Armin Zola explains to Steve and Natasha that SHIELD is actually Hydra. They are then hit by a missile.
Guardians of the Galaxy
Spoiler!
The Collector shows the Guardians that the orb contains an infinity stone, and then his home is blown up.
Guardians 2
Spoiler!
Yondu slays the mutineers with his arrow and sets off to help the Guardians.
Ultron
Spoiler!
Ultron arrives in South Korea and begins building Vision. Meanwhile, Natasha explains to Bruce that she can't have children.
Civil War
Spoiler!
Sam and Steve have captured Bucky, who tells them that there are five more Winter Soldiers. Note that this reveal is a fake-out, because these five soldiers will be dead by the time Sam and Steve arrive, and the actual plot isn't revealed until act three. So this is actually an example of taking advantage of Midpoint Theory rather than of Midpoint Theory per se!
Black Panther
Spoiler!
Killmonger shows Klau that he's Wakandan, and kills him. Meanwhile, T'challa learns that his father killed his uncle and left his cousin (who becomes Killmonger) in the United States as a child.
Dr. Strange
Spoiler!
Stephen learns that there's a magical war and states that he doesn't want to fight in something like that, and immediately following this, Kaecilius attacks.
Ragnarok
Spoiler!
Thor awakens to find he is Hulk's roommate, and they have a funny argument about escaping vs. not escaping.
Infinity War
Spoiler!
Thanos reveals to Gamora that he knows she knows where the soul stone is, and he makes her tell him.
Endgame
Spoiler!
Thanos learns that there are two Nebulas, one from the future, and then he learns that in the future he wins and the Avengers kill him (not really upset about the being killed part either, TBH) but that they're trying to undo this.
Spider-Man Far from Home
Spoiler!
Mysterio gets Peter to give him the glasses, and then reveals to the audience that he doesn't actually have any powers at all and that it's all a con.
Spider-Man No Way Home
Spoiler!
Peter's spider-sense kicks in, and he realizes that Green Goblin never had any intention of being cured. A huge battle erupts.
Dr. Strange Multiverse of Madness
Spoiler!
Wong is forced to bring Wanda to Wundagore (that's a fun sentence to say), and she realizes it was built for the worship of someone like her (or possibly even herself).
Quantumania
Spoiler!
Scott meets Kang, who coerces him into retrieving the multiversal engine core.
Good enough excuse for me:
Ashenai wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 5:08 pmoh no

Doug
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Sat Jul 15, 2023 2:49 am

That was epic

Aqua Teens did that on one of the season dvds. If you hit play all, it plays all the episodes at the same time on tiny little screens

About seven of the episodes that season turn out to have an explosion at the exact same time

Doug
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Thu Aug 03, 2023 12:17 am

Cutting a man's head off doesn't necessarily mean you kill him.
Spoiler!
He could already have been dead.

Khaos
They should have sent a poet.
Forum Elf

Post by Khaos » Thu Aug 03, 2023 2:30 pm

also they could still be alive for moments after before they die of blood loss, asphyxiation, etc.

Doug
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Fri Aug 11, 2023 7:09 pm

What is the best word to describe how good The Princess Bride is
Spoiler!
Inconceivable

s. goblin
Cardboard Robot
Cardboard Robot

Post by s. goblin » Sat Aug 12, 2023 3:14 am

more so than that is how cary elwes just like never found work again after that?

and then everyone was surprised to see him in Saw like he was pulling a Rick Moranas the whole time