Yeah!

Shitposting, Video Games, Manga, and Anime

Moderator: Wumpy

Ashenai
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Re: It's Videogames

Post by Ashenai » Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:54 pm

Btw I've fallen down a bit of a lore rabbithole listening to people who know about MiHoYo's games. No details because potential spoilers, but MiHoYo has a reputation for supporting their games diligently, and I'm very excited to see how this game progresses!

seathesee
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by seathesee » Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:55 pm

Ashenai wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:23 pm Also, this is the very first gacha game I've played
you play magic, right?
with love, your good friend, seathesee

Ashenai
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Ashenai » Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:58 pm

lol fair

catonkeyboard
Attaboy! You finished my labyrinth and I'm proud of you!
Let's party like it's 1899

Post by catonkeyboard » Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:26 pm

Ashenai wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:03 am My dad asked me what XP was today. He figured it was Extra Power. :3
Clearly a windows user
27/50 states of cats on keyboards
|X,,,,X,,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,,,,X,,X,X,X,X,X,,,,X,,X,,X,,,X,,X,X,X,,X,,X,X,,,,,X,|

Shiny Days
...but history refused to change

Post by Shiny Days » Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:49 pm

catonkeyboard wrote:
Ashenai wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:03 am My dad asked me what XP was today. He figured it was Extra Power. :3
Clearly a windows user
then it would mean the same thing!

Ashenai
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Ashenai » Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:04 am

God I cannot overstate how much I'm in love with Genshin Impact. Easily GOTY for me. It's been such a long time since I've truly loved a game, I think Life is Strange was the last one.

It's not any one specific thing either, it's just the sum of all its parts. It's so polished, and it's also so adaptable to whatever I feel like doing. If I'm tired and want to unwind, I just boot this thing up and forage around the wilderness while listening to a podcast or something, no pressure. If I want a challenge, I do one of the tough realm bosses. If I want a Gaming Experience then I progress a story mission.

I get that it's not for everyone, but damn am I enjoying it.

(The gacha is not a part of what I love about it, it's just whatever. Rolling is exciting but I'm satisfied with the way the game paces it. The $5 a month blessing thing means I get at least one roll a day, which is slow but I'm patient.)

Shiny Days

Post by Shiny Days » Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:22 am

it's v pretty. the characters all seem pretty great too, design-wise

Ashenai
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Ashenai » Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:31 am

They are. I'm not really a waifu guy but I can see how someone who is would be into it; they're well designed, they have a lot of personality, and all of the familiar archetypes are there.

As everything else in the game, they're just polished, that's the right word for it. Clublady swings her club and the animation is great, it feels heavy and impactful. Fencer lady does anime teleports all around the battlefield. Water mage lady shows off her entire ass when doing anything. None of it is surprising or new, but it's all so competently done.

I still think if I had to name my favorite thing about the game, it's the exploration stuff. It's a neverending loop of "hey that thing looks interesting, I'll go check it out", and then when you're halfway there, you spot another thing that looks interesting in a different direction. Oh but now here's an enemy, might as well stop to have a quick fight on the way. Whoah is that a gliding challenge up on that cliff? And then next thing you know, you've spent 3 hours literally just going from one interesting thing in the distance to the next.

Ashenai
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Ashenai » Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:45 am

The one thing I dislike is the loot. It's incredibly "gamey", in the sense that you're basically never surprised by anything you find. Hey a tier 2 chest, that's gonna have some tier 2 XP books and maybe some basic crafting materials and a 2-star weapon or two. Opening a chest should be exciting, but in this game, it isn't. I don't even look at what I get from chests anymore, I just mash the pick-up button. It's all just "stuff". Stuff I need for crafting, yeah, but none of it is ever interesting or unique or worthwhile. They all go into the pile of identical crap I picked up from all the other chests.

I understand this is how gachas work (you only ever get truly noteworthy stuff from the gacha itself), but I think it's a design mistake. They should give chests and loot something, make them a bit more thrilling to open.

Khaos
They should have sent a poet.
Forum Elf

Post by Khaos » Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:00 am

does gacha just mean loot boxes?

Ashenai
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Ashenai » Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:03 am

Kind of, gacha means a random slot machine-like mechanic (can be loot boxes too). The chests in the game aren't part of the gacha (which is why they never have anything really cool). The gacha can only be accessed by using its own special premium currency, and it's the only way to get the best stuff.

haplo
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by haplo » Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:04 am

Ashenai wrote:The one thing I dislike is the loot. It's incredibly "gamey", in the sense that you're basically never surprised by anything you find. Hey a tier 2 chest, that's gonna have some tier 2 XP books and maybe some basic crafting materials and a 2-star weapon or two. Opening a chest should be exciting, but in this game, it isn't. I don't even look at what I get from chests anymore, I just mash the pick-up button. It's all just "stuff". Stuff I need for crafting, yeah, but none of it is ever interesting or unique or worthwhile. They all go into the pile of identical crap I picked up from all the other chests.

I understand this is how gachas work (you only ever get truly noteworthy stuff from the gacha itself), but I think it's a design mistake. They should give chests and loot something, make them a bit more thrilling to open.
You really need a handful of static chests scattered across the randomized chests. It's tough to fill them with important things in an open-world game where you can go anywhere at any time, because then it just feels like a collect-a-thon, but ultimately you want to capture the feeling of finding a sweet item in Castlevania that meaningfully enhances your character in some way. Maybe there is one non-gacha accessory slot and you can put unique items in there like +1 items when gathering, or sometimes doesn't use ingredients when cooking, or whatever else. These are found in static chests in special locations that look ~cool~ as opposed to the random enemy camps scattered over the world.

haplo
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by haplo » Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:06 am

Khaos wrote:does gacha just mean loot boxes?
"Gacha" as the root word is those little dispensers in the mall where you put a quarter in and turn the handle and it gives you a little capsule with a toy in it.

Khaos
They should have sent a poet.
Forum Elf

Post by Khaos » Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:07 am

haplo wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:06 am
Khaos wrote:does gacha just mean loot boxes?
"Gacha" as the root word is those little dispensers in the mall where you put a quarter in and turn the handle and it gives you a little capsule with a toy in it.
ok so loot orb

Ashenai
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Ashenai » Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:07 am

You could put the sweet items in random chests all over the world! Like, the +1 gathering item could be in a tier 3 chest somewhere on the first continent, but it could be in any one of the tier 3 chests. That would make for cool stories ("hey guys, I opened my first chest and found this, what is this?" "Oh fuck yooouuuuu, newbies have all the luck") but everyone can find all of them eventually, and as long as none of them are required, it would really spice up the game.

Shiny Days

Post by Shiny Days » Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:12 am

i've heard through the grapevine that the d00ds making the thing have a good long history of dedicated development and such. and i think they've only created like 2 of the 7 worlds? so there's supposed to be, should be a lot coming. i have heard also that there isnt too much to do when you do get "done." but it is a one player jrpg thing right so it's ok for it to just end. i think?

Ashenai
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Ashenai » Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:22 am

They have a reputation for supporting their games long-term, and for lots of big meaty content upgrades, so yeah, I'm very hopeful! It also looks like they'll have weekly events, we're having the first one now and it's pretty fun (a multiplayer co-op PVE arena thing).

Yeah, the way it works is that the quests eventually dry up, but instead of telling you "hey, you're done with the game for now", you're sort of put into a holding pattern where you can still do whatever you want but you can't really accomplish anything and your progress is slowed to an absolute crawl. This understandably frustrates people, but the correct thing to do is realize that this is what's happening and just take a break until the next content update (or just log in to do dailies/events if you prefer).

There is a LOT of content in there already, though. I'm over 30 hours in now and I'm not yet halfway done with existing content. I've barely touched the second continent, and I've heard it's bigger and more interesting than the first one. And the plot is cool!

Shiny Days

Post by Shiny Days » Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:16 am

rianalnn
Posting Automaton
Posting Automaton

Post by rianalnn » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:04 am

yay Steve :)

Subject: crippled masters

Bring on the kung-fu amputees - no arms vs. no legs anyone? A bit of high-speed underground ninja-tunneling is always good as well. I wanna see some shit like that. Crazy monks with gnarly special powers can make any film good. FACT.

Ashenai
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Ashenai » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:28 am

I've been given a copy of the Knights of Favonius handbook and told to memorize it. Check this shit out.

I am looking forward to the awesome and not at all stilted conversations I'm gonna have with city folk at taverns with that opener.

(Noelle is clublady, one of my party members currently. Her thing is that she wants to be a Knight herself someday, and she's super into helping people.)

Rylinks
her skirt got quite a lot smaller,
but her heart is still the same
size it was before
Forum Elf

Post by Rylinks » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:31 am

lol @ everyone trying to pass their work off to one specific person that is mentioned by name in the rules

Ashenai
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Ashenai » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:35 am

the entire handbook is solid gold.

"Should you observe any illegal aerial activity within the city, you should shout to the offender at the top of your voice, imploring them to cease gliding immediately. Should they persist, you should take such further action as is necessary to deescelate the situation."

Rylinks
size it was before
Forum Elf

Post by Rylinks » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:36 am

i suggest crossbows

Ashenai
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Ashenai » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:38 am

The best part is that the first party member I met in the game greeted us with "Welcome to Mondstadt, strange yet respectable travelers!" which I thought was a pretty dumb line, but turns out it's the mandatory greeting in the handbook.

Rylinks
size it was before
Forum Elf

Post by Rylinks » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:38 am

excellent

Rylinks
size it was before
Forum Elf

Post by Rylinks » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:47 am

this is called “foreshadowing”

catonkeyboard
Attaboy! You finished my labyrinth and I'm proud of you!
Let's party like it's 1899

Post by catonkeyboard » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:51 pm

Ashenai wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:35 am the entire handbook is solid gold.

"Should you observe any illegal aerial activity within the city, you should shout to the offender at the top of your voice, imploring them to cease gliding immediately. Should they persist, you should take such further action as is necessary to deescelate the situation."
bwawhaha "deescalate" is the perfect word there.
27/50 states of cats on keyboards
|X,,,,X,,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,X,,,,X,,X,X,X,X,X,,,,X,,X,,X,,,X,,X,X,X,,X,,X,X,,,,,X,|

drk
Birds are wild
Posting Automaton

Post by drk » Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:22 pm

So you're going to pawn off at least a couple tasks on Noelle, right? She's so helpful!

pterrus
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by pterrus » Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:25 pm

I have lost the earth to the aliens 6 times on commander difficulty in LWOTC. But you, seventh earth? You're special.

Ashenai
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Ashenai » Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:50 pm

drk wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:22 pm So you're going to pawn off at least a couple tasks on Noelle, right? She's so helpful!

My fave right now is Fischl, though.

Fischl is a gigantic dork. She talks like this constantly, with Oz (her summoned raven) mostly humoring her. Turns out her real name is Amy, she likes to read a lot, and she has an overactive imagination (Fischl is a heroine in a book she read). Her parents got her her job as a low-level flunky for the Adventurers' Guild.

She really is a badass archer/electricity wielder, though. Even if she yells "MIDNIGHT PHANTASMAGORIA" every time I activate her elemental burst.