sports

Probably what *this* should be called.
Doug
Has anybody seen my parrot
Forum Elf

Re: sports

Post by Doug » Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:23 pm

Rylinks wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:06 pm
Doug wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:14 pm What happens in limited over cricket when the over limit is reached

There's a game on right now

If I understand correctly, once the bowling team reaches the limited number of overs, this is the same as getting 10 outs? And this is why dot balls are good, because they're getting you closer to the over limit
that's correct
It's cool. I like the pacing. A lot of the time in baseball, an inning is over before it had a chance to develop. Cricket doesn't have this issue at all
It's your turn in Cthulhu Wars
It's your turn in Squirrel Wars
It's your turn in Demon Wars
It's your turn in Wall Street Wars

http://devilsbiscuit.com/

seathesee
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by seathesee » Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:28 pm

Doug wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:22 pm
seathesee wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:19 pm
Doug wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:52 pm I, the unlikeliest sport enthusiast ever, subscribed to ESPN+ today, and I am watching the Bahrain Grand Prix
f1 is great. did you get into it through the netflix show, or were you ahead of the curve?
Oh years ago I used to follow it a ton. for quite a long time. I fell out of it when I moved back to Florida six years ago and never bothered to get cable
the netflix show has done wonders for the sport in the us--its pretty remarkable.

my sisters in law now watch all the qualifiers and grand prixs. my kids go over there to watch it with them and they each have adopted one of the sister in laws favorites--one roots for lewis and one for carlos sainz. i am constantly trolling them about max being the best (who is the heel of the sport to their eyes).

i cant think of any other promotional material that will have as long term of an impact in bringing a huge new audience to a sport. i can see my kids being fans for life now, and i imagine they arent the only ones.
with love, your good friend, seathesee

Doug
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:29 pm

seathesee wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:28 pm
Doug wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:22 pm
seathesee wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:19 pm
Doug wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:52 pm I, the unlikeliest sport enthusiast ever, subscribed to ESPN+ today, and I am watching the Bahrain Grand Prix
f1 is great. did you get into it through the netflix show, or were you ahead of the curve?
Oh years ago I used to follow it a ton. for quite a long time. I fell out of it when I moved back to Florida six years ago and never bothered to get cable
the netflix show has done wonders for the sport in the us--its pretty remarkable.

my sisters in law now watch all the qualifiers and grand prixs. my kids go over there to watch it with them and they each have adopted one of the sister in laws favorites--one roots for lewis and one for carlos sainz. i am constantly trolling them about max being the best (who is the heel of the sport to their eyes).

i cant think of any other promotional material that will have as long term of an impact in bringing a huge new audience to a sport. i can see my kids being fans for life now, and i imagine they arent the only ones.
The Miami Grand Prix will be right down the street from me. But the worst seats are $560, so I'm not going

seathesee
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by seathesee » Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:34 pm

i love the miami gp track! it really captures the aesthetic of the city well.

i think the vegas gp is on my bucket list now. my understanding is they are using city streets like monaco. i can only imagine that will be one hell of a spectacle.

Doug
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:38 pm

seathesee wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:34 pm i love the miami gp track! it really captures the aesthetic of the city well.
Well not to bring you down, but the race is actually in Miami Gardens, a suburb of Miami. But it's all beautiful down here lol

Doug
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:40 pm

seathesee wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:34 pm i think the vegas gp is on my bucket list now. my understanding is they are using city streets like monaco. i can only imagine that will be one hell of a spectacle.
Yeah, it goes down the strip past the Bellagio, Caesar's Palace, etc!

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:15 pm

the rare NBA concept that I could actually try to implement when I play :P
u gotta skate

Rylinks
her skirt got quite a lot smaller,
but her heart is still the same
size it was before
Forum Elf

Post by Rylinks » Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:22 am

timeouts in basketball are so dumb

oh my player got trapped and might turnover the ball? timeout lol

Doug
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:44 am

Rylinks wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:22 am timeouts in basketball are so dumb

omg

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:00 am

hard agree
u gotta skate

Doug
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:25 am

checkmate

seathesee
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by seathesee » Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:50 pm

Rylinks wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:22 am timeouts in basketball are so dumb

pft. theyre like wild cards. opponent going on a run? time out. cant inbound the ball? time out. want to challenge the ref call? time out. about to win the ncaa championship and cement your team as the most iconic in ncaa history and are out of time outs? time out.

theyre limited. i think theyre neat. not a real problem.

Rylinks
size it was before
Forum Elf

Post by Rylinks » Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:57 pm

they're fine when they're not nullifying a good play from the other team or ending a posession scramble

seathesee
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by seathesee » Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:02 pm

are counterspells only ok when theyre not countering the last spell in a game winning combo?

everyone has access to them and there are limits on their usage. give the coach/player credit for a well used time out and move on.

Doug
Forum Elf

Post by Doug » Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:07 pm

It's not a skill we particularly need tested

Imagine a sport, hockey but also the coach eating a sandwich. Boy he really did good on the sandwich part

Rylinks
size it was before
Forum Elf

Post by Rylinks » Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:15 pm

i don't understand the metaphor. sports should be about sports, and card games should be about cards. I don't see it like a counterspell, but like running out the round clock to save a 1-1 draw. yeah both players have access to delaying the game but that doesn't make it a desirable outcome

seathesee
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by seathesee » Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:29 pm

Rylinks wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:15 pm I don't see it like a counterspell, but like running out the round clock to save a 1-1 draw.
thats against the rules of the game. there is no rule saying you cant use a timeout to prevent a 5 second violation or a jump ball.
Rylinks wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:15 pmyeah both players have access to delaying the game but that doesn't make it a desirable outcome
are you against all uses of timeouts? they really are just strategic game stoppages ("delays") no matter when they are used.

seathesee
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by seathesee » Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:31 pm

Doug wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:07 pm It's not a skill we particularly need tested
oh, i really enjoy testing for the skill of managing game flow and clock stoppages. i think its a part of most sports, and is without a doubt a skill.

Magical
Adding Machine
Adding Machine

Post by Magical » Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:40 pm

damn it I wanted to make a joke post about sea coming in just to argue with crunchums about how no, timeouts add a wonderful depth and strategy but I thought it was too on the nose, now here we are

Rylinks
size it was before
Forum Elf

Post by Rylinks » Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:41 pm

seathesee wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:29 pm are you against all uses of timeouts? they really are just strategic game stoppages ("delays") no matter when they are used.
no, using a timeout to tell your players how to play or to let them catch their breath so they can play complement the on-court game. Football timeouts for clock management don't really complement the on-field game but they also don't conflict with it. I think that using a timeout to nullify the effect of a good on-court play made by the other team is different than game flow or clock management, both of which are fine or even good.
seathesee wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:29 pm thats against the rules of the game. there is no rule saying you cant use a timeout to prevent a 5 second violation or a jump ball.
if the stalling rule didn't exist, would you think that running out the clock is just good clock management by the magic player, and nothing should be changed? I'm not saying anyone is doing anything wrong by taking timeouts, just that the rules should be changed, like magic has a rule so games are decided by playing cards.

seathesee
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by seathesee » Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:43 pm

Magical wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:40 pm damn it I wanted to make a joke post about sea coming in just to argue with crunchums about how no, timeouts add a wonderful depth and strategy but I thought it was too on the nose, now here we are
sports are the best thing to argue about. i cannot resist.

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:00 am

timeouts during a dead ball are a very different kind of thing than timeouts during a live ball
u gotta skate

seathesee
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by seathesee » Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:01 am

Rylinks wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:41 pm
seathesee wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:29 pm are you against all uses of timeouts? they really are just strategic game stoppages ("delays") no matter when they are used.
no, using a timeout to tell your players how to play or to let them catch their breath so they can play complement the on-court game. Football timeouts for clock management don't really complement the on-field game but they also don't conflict with it. I think that using a timeout to nullify the effect of a good on-court play made by the other team is different than game flow or clock management, both of which are fine or even good.
do you think the timeout rule should be changed somehow? like, you cant call them when youre inbounding, or you cant call them if players from opposing teams are within a certain vicinity of each other, or you just cant call them when the ball is in play?

i just flat out disagree with your assessment. i think theres a ton of things that dont take place on court which affect the on court game, from roster management, to training, to the locker room, to coaching. i think a lot of those things have a bigger effect on the on-court game than timeouts, even. i think "nba basketball" is a competition involving all of those things. its kind of strange to me to single out certain uses of timeouts, i assume because they are closer in proximity to the on court game.

im curious about your answer to my question despite my unwavering disagreement.
Rylinks wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:41 pm
seathesee wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:29 pm thats against the rules of the game. there is no rule saying you cant use a timeout to prevent a 5 second violation or a jump ball.
if the stalling rule didn't exist, would you think that running out the clock is just good clock management by the magic player, and nothing should be changed? I'm not saying anyone is doing anything wrong by taking timeouts, just that the rules should be changed, like magic has a rule so games are decided by playing cards.
i think there is permissible clock management in tournament magic. i would agree it feels in more poor taste than managing the clock in, say, football. there are certainly things outside the cards that are without a doubt permissible in tournament magic, and which i think add to the game, as opposed to detracting from it--things like looking at things to make your opponent key in on them, feigning weakness, thinking during spell resolution when you dont have any response, etc.

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:05 am

imo just get rid of live ball timeouts
the only awkward thing is you want to allow for them before the ball is inbounded after a made basket, but i think that is a tractable problem

edit: and this goes hand-in-hand with the elam ending, because you can lose the whole "advancing the ball" thing when the game no longer ends on a clock running out
u gotta skate

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:07 am

sea i am curious - if you could make changes to improve the nba, what changes would you make?
u gotta skate

Skeletor
How'd you know that loving kittens is my one defining trait?
Forum Elf

Post by Skeletor » Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:14 am

hire taller people
wow, [you]. that all sounds terrible. i hope it gets better for you

Rylinks
size it was before
Forum Elf

Post by Rylinks » Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:18 am

i think i've done a bad job of communicating--it's not that timeouts affect the on-court game in general, it's that (in the case of a trap) the timeout takes a play that already happened and makes it irrelevant (maybe a timeout is super important in basketball and this is a good outcome for the defending team, but that's not my impression). Roster management, coaching, taking a timeout to run a schemed play all happen before the game plays out.

im not sure how exactly i would write the rule but most ball-in-play timeouts are fine. Maybe it's possible to define a trap somehow or use a bit of referee discretion. Timeouts on inbounds i feel less strongly about.

Crunchums
Forum Elf
Forum Elf

Post by Crunchums » Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:25 am

i suppose actually that zero live-ball timeouts would be a little awkward, like if my guys are gassed and a i want a timeout then i have to turn it over or let the other team score? and that's the tea
but yeah basically what Rylinks said - being able to use timeouts to escape from [bad things that are about to happen during a live ball] is dumb
u gotta skate

seathesee
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by seathesee » Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:38 am

Crunchums wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:07 am sea i am curious - if you could make changes to improve the nba, what changes would you make?
hmmm...thats tough. i dont have a lot of complaints about the game right now. my main issue is the variability in enforcement of the rules. the thing i would change if i could change one thing, right now, is that coaches wouldnt lose their challenge if the challenge was successful.

seathesee
Sentient Keyboard
Sentient Keyboard

Post by seathesee » Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:42 am

Rylinks wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:18 am maybe a timeout is super important in basketball and this is a good outcome for the defending team, but that's not my impression
fwiw, i think timeouts can be extremely important, because they have so many potential positive uses. having a timeout at the end of the game or not can be the difference between advancing the ball or not on a last possession (and therefore can lower the difficulty of a last shot quite a bit), can provide a challenge late game, can allow a team to draw up a last play as opposed to winging it, etc. they can be determinative. hard to say whether they equate one to one to a possession, or even preventing a jump ball, but they have!